Just Another Storm

• Dedicado a all volunteers

Liliette

My mom woke me up just before six on August 28th, 2011. I had expected this, we all had. Everyone knew Irene was bringing rain and and even a few inches of rain can flood the barn or enter the rabbit cages.

"Honey, you have to wake Daddy and I are going to get the pigs, you know I don't leaving you all asleep in the house, what if there was a fire?"

"I'm up Mommy, but can't I just stay in bed." I said.

"I don't want you falling back asleep."

"Go wake up Tav." I countered. Tav is my younger brother, he's 12 and generally an early riser.

"Fine, but I want you to stay awake too." She conceded.

"K."

Ten minutes later I was pretty close to falling asleep again when my brother burst in.

"Lil you have to look outside the water's like over the road."

I looked ouside, water was in fact over the road. I still wasn't worried the water would never reach our store, it never had before.

"I'm gonna go help Mom and Dad." Said Tav.

"Come on Tav you don't want to do that."

"Then come downstairs with me."

"Uhh, give me a minute." I finally stated.

"Fine."

I slowly climbed out of bed, peeking outside as I did. The water was rapidly rising much higer than I had ever seen it before. It looked like it was actually entering the lower section of our store, my mom's office, but that couldn't be right, could it?

I went downstairs to see my brother with the tv on the weather channel, it was covering, as expected, Huricane Irene. I balked when I saw the rain map. Irene had become one sided with the heaviest rain over up-state NY, where I lived. More rain,  I couldn't believe it.

Again I checked outside, water had flooded all behind the next door bank.

At this point Tav jumped up. "I'm going out."

"Alright. I guess I have to stay here with Tiffy. I don't want to wake her up."

"k."

Tav walked out and I wanted to follow, but I knew I couldn't leave our littlest sister, 8 year old Tiffany.

After 20 minutes of watching the repetitive weather channel i checked outside again. Oh My God.

The store was completly flooded, water was everywhere. The bank was surrounded and as I watched a huge back section broke off. The propane tanks behind the store were now floating and, from what I could tell, were leaking. The goat pen was under water, I could only my parents got them out. My parents! And Tav! Where were they.....