Chapter 1

~****~

         "Princess!" I ran down the hall, away from my room, away from the maid who wanted me to get dressed so early. Why don't I want to get dressed, you ask? Well, one, it's four in the morning, and two, I hate not having privacy! I mean, I'm a princess, but I can dress myself. "Princess, you must come back!" I looked over my shoulder and screamed, "No!" I ran into a hard chest. I bounced off and flew to the ground. "Oof!" I heard laughter. I looked up and saw my best friend, Peter. I picked myself off the ground, grumbling under my breath. "Princess Rosealinda!" I hid behind Peter. He laughed again. "Looks like someone doesn't want to get up," he said.

        I closed my eyes and huffed. "Can I sleep in your room?" I asked, giving him puppy dog eyes. He chuckled. "Sure," he said. I slipped into his room and put my ear to the door. "Have you seen Princess Rosealinda?" the maid asked Peter. "Yes, she went that way," he said. He must've been pointing somewhere. I sighed in relief. Peter, you are a lifesaver. The next thing I knew, the door was being burst open, I slammed onto my butt, again, and the maid was saying, "I"m so sorry, Princess! You have to come with me!" As she dragged me out of the room, I glared at Peter. He laughed.

        'I hate you,' I mouthed at him. He smiled, going back into his room. "Now, now, sweetheart," she said. "I know you don't like getting up this early, but I have to do it. It's my job." I instantly felt bad. "I'm sorry for having put you through this hassle," I said sincerely. She smiled. "It's not a problem, really, honey," she said. "I never want to get up either." I smiled as she helped me into a dress. This one was a light purple and it flowed to my ankles. It felt like silk, and swished when I moved. "What's the occasion?" I asked.

         "You're due for a very important announcement, I'm told." I huffed. She fit my tiara over my head and stepped back to admire me. "What is your name, again?" I asked. "I'm sorry I didn't catch it." She smiled, running a brush through my hair. "My name's Sylvia, sweetie," she said. I smiled. "What a pretty name," I said. She laughed. "You are too kind, Princess," Sylvia said. I frowned slightly. "None of this 'Princess' business," I said. "Call me Rose." She smiled slightly. "As you wish.. Rose."

~****~

      Walking gracefully down the steps, I admired the way my dress swirled around my ankles. I stopped at the bottom and stretched. A yawn escaped me. Who wakes up at four, anyway? I opened the door to the dining room and swiftly closed it when I noticed we had company. Okay, that was pretty rude, but I couldn't help it! Who gets visitors at four in the morning, anyway? I put on a fake smile and walked in, this time closing the door behind me. "Hello," I said shyly. 

      Daddy waved me over. I stood by him, waiting for him to introduce them to me. "This is my daughter, Princess Rosalinda Verin," he said. "Rose, this is King Cole Perrin, his wife, Queen Veronica Perrin, and their son, Prince William Perrin." I smiled politely, "Hello, King and Queen Perrin. Prince Perrin." Prince Perrin was giving me a sly look, like he knew something I didn't. I did not like that look. 

      Daddy is King of the Sertty land. King Perrin is King if the Gallin land. They were right next to each other. Him and Daddy never got into war; actually, King Perrin helped us out when another Kingdom attacked us. King Perrin waved his hand at me. "Call me King Cole," he said. His wife was nodding. "Please, call me Veronica," she said. I nodded. "Call me Will," Prince Perrin said. I nodded politely. He still had that look on his face. If he didn't get it off soon, I would be forced to throttle him! 

      "Sit down, Rose," Daddy said. "I have an announcement, but please eat first." I nodded. I scooped eggs and bacon onto my plate and started eating. Jeez, I'm starving! I took some fruit and noticed Prince William was staring at me. I smiled at him, trying to be an adult, when I felt a pinch on my thigh. He pinched me! I looked over at Daddy, but he was stating into his plate; he didn't notice my discomfort. I gasped loudly when I felt him squeeze my thigh. Everyone stared at me. "Is something the mater, dear?" Queen Veronica asked me. 

      I smiled, even in my discomfort. "I'm fine, Queen Veronica. I just swallowed some eggs without chewing them first," I lied. William squeezed me painfully, probably trying to get me to look at him. I smiled at Daddy helplessly. He didn't understand like Mommy would. I guess she has morning sickness again. When William squeezed again I looked over to him, glaring deeply. I couldn't just tell King and Queen Perrin their son was a pervert, could I? 

    I slapped his hand away, but he just put it right back. I glared at him more fiercely. I looked over at Daddy pleadingly, but he was too busy chatting with King Perrin. I scowled. He squeezed again, and that was the last straw. "Will you let go of me!?" I said loudly. Everyone was silent. Daddy was shaking his head at my display of temper. "Whatever is the matter, Princess?" King Perrin asked. I pointed accusingly at William. "He's squeezing my thigh!" I said.

      He faked surprise. "I am doing no such thing!" he said, faking outrage. I grit my teeth. "Are you calling me a liar, Prince William?" I asked. He shrugged, not at all bothered by my outrage. "I guess you are, Princess. I'm not touching you," he said. "Daddy, can I be excused, please?" I asked, giving him my puppy dog face. He laughed. "No, Rose," he said, and my face fell. William was smirking. He thought he had won. I'll get him late, with Peter's help. 

      "I have an announcement for you, Rosealinda," he said. I gulped. He only uses my whole name if it's somethingreally important. "Mom's having twins?" I guessed weakly. He shook his head, the ghost of a smile on his face at Mom's name. "Rose, aren't you wondering why they are here?" he asked, gesturing to King, Queen, and Prince Perrin. "I thought they just came for a visit," I said. He shook his head. "No, sweetie," he said. "The reason why they're here is becasue I had to discuss something important. Something that involves you."

    I cocked my head to the side. "So, what do you need to tell me?" I asked. He took a deep breath. "You're going to be marrying Prince William," he said. I spluttered, choking on my own spit. "What?" I screeched. "How can you do this to me, Daddy?" He looked at me, shaking his head. I glanced at William. He was smriking again. I sneered at him. I looked back at Daddy as he started speaking again. "You will be marrying him, and that's final. We will give the thrones over to you, and you will rule both, side-by-side," he said. "This is my final decision. We decided it was best for both Kingdoms." 

    A tear escaped my eyes. "And what's best for me, Daddy?" I asked. "Why can't I choose my own King?" He gave me a look of sympathy. "I'm sorry, honey," he said. "But duty always comes before want. This is for the best." I looked down to my plate. "Excuse me," I said quietly. I pushed my chair back and hurried out of the room. I put my hands to my face and cried. How can he make me marry someone like him? He's arrogant. He's rude. He's a liar. I an to my room and locked the door, ripping my tiara off and throwing it at the wall. I hate being Princess.

~****~