Chapter Twenty Seven: The End of One, the Start of Another

~Faith's POV~

I tore through the crowd of people with tears streaming down my face. Impolitely, I push people to get through, but at this point, I didn't care. After making it out of the building it felt like my head was spinning and I couldn't see straight. Not knowing where to go, I fell down on the warm concrete. I sobbed, violently. There's nothing else to it. It was plain and simple, but at the same time, the situation itself was hardly comprehendible.

"Faith?" Through tear filled eyes I looked up to see who was speaking to me. The sunlight was blinding and I couldn't make out a face, only a silhouette, so I looked back down and covered my face with my hands. "What's wrong?" Ignoring the voice, I continued to cry. As more and more thoughts flooded into my head it only got worse. I was probably over-exaggerating a bit because some of the things that popped in my head were so unbelievable they couldn't have ever happened. However, that didn't stop my roaming mind.

A hand was placed on my back in a comforting way as this person tried to console me. Wiping the tears from my eyes, I sat up to see who was with me.

"What happened Faye?"

"Sterling?"

"Yes I'm here. It's okay. Just breathe." He held my face in both of his palms as he attempted to help me clam down and breathe. 

"Kaden he... it's done. We're done. I... just-"

"I kind of need full sentences to understand what going on."

Taking a deep breath, I spoke very shaky, but finally coherently. "I found Kaden with another girl. He tried explaining it to me, but I don't trust him, especially not after seeing it. And I asked him to choose between me and the fight. I wasn't his choice."

"He has a lot riding on this fight Faith, you know that. Why would you ask that of him?"

"I- I don't know. It was the only thing I could think of so he could prove himself like he wanted to. "

"Well, come with me. Let's go watch the fight at least. Maybe he changed his mind." Even though I doubted kaden would have changed his mind, I followed Sterling back inside anyways. He led me through the building into a large crowded room with a clearing in the center for the fight. It was dark, dingy, and smelled of beer. Most people in the crowd were drunk or getting there. And it also consisted of mostly men, but there were still many women present.

Sterling led me to where the guys were. They had a front row view standing behind the fence that separated the fighters from the crowd.

"Ayyyeeeeeeeee, there's our Faith! How's it goin' blondie?" Chase's breath reeks with the stench of alcohol.

"What's wrong?" Shane could tell something was up, I've never been good at hiding things.

"Let's not talk about it." I couldn't bring myself to tell them. It's not their problem to worry about. Especially since the fight is second away and they're so pumped for it.

"Okay... well Kaden's about to kick some ass. I just saw him he looks mad and reved up. He's ready."

My head dropped and I couldn't help but feel a deep sadness wave over me before I got a twinge in my stomach. I lifted my head and something caught my eye. Without really thinking, I snatched the cup from Chase's hand and chugged the unnamed liquor that swished around inside.

"Shittt girl, you can drink!" Chase seemed impressed despite my stealing his drink. And with that the fighters entered the ring. People were cheering, but I just left to get another drink. By the time I returned, Kaden and Blackwood were already fighting. Honestly I know nothing about fighting, so I couldn't say what was going on with the fight, but it seemed like Kaden was winning. Punch after punch Blackwood was eating it.

It was in that moment I realized I'd met Blackwood before. Once again, I felt dizzy and sick because I'd met Blackwood not even an hour ago. He's the guy that took me to Kaden earlier and right now, he's not quite as handsome as I'd originally thought because Kaden's done a number on his face.

Before I knew it Blackwood's body went limp as he fell to the floor. Knocked out cold. The crowd flew past the boundaries created by a four foot fence. Including the guys, audience members carried him off on their shoulder. Everyone rushed past me, but I stayed stable in my place. Even Sterling left my side to celebrate, but I don't blame him.

Now I stand alone. The crowd was inside the confinements of the ring and I was as alone as I felt. Kaden, being above everyone else, was as high as he probably felt. On top of the world. Maybe I stood out or maybe he knows me well enough to know that I'd come back. The moment our eyes met his giant smile fell and a guilty look filled his face. He looked like he wanted down, but I didn't sit and analyze his movements as the crowd carried him away. I did the only thing I could think to do: run. I ran away. I ran back home, but I should've known he wouldn't leave me alone for long.

When Kaden showed up I was bawling my eyes out up in my room. My sheets were covered in tears and snot, but it's nothing a wash couldn't fix.

"Faith, I'm so sorry. I couldn't lose the fight. For multiple reasons. No matter how much I like you. You know that right? You know that I like you, you're the only thing in my life that isn't completely fucked up. If lose you I don't know what I'd do. I don't even want to know. God! I fucking love you. I love you so damn much it hurts."

Silently, I sobbed into my knees as he rubbed my back. I refused to turn around because looking at him would make what I'm about to do that much harder.

"Faith please. Talk to me. This- this is killing me." His hand shifted to move the hair that was blocking his view of my face, revealing a tear stained face sniffling up a drizzle of snot. A pang of guilt shot through my chest because I wouldn't want him to see what he's done to me. "Come on. I'm making an effort here. I'm trying to fight. Fight for us." He tried convincing me, but I wouldn't have it.

Finally I turned to him, fuming, but still, I spoke calmly. "You're right, you did fight. And that's the problem. You fought, for everything except us. You fought for pride, money, and bragging rights. You aren't fighting for us. You're just pleading your case. Just because you pull out the L word you think you can get me back or try to get me to forget about what I walked in on, but the thing is Kaden, you can't fight for us anymore. When you walked away, you didn't just walk away from me. You walked away from us."

"You walked away. Not me. I'm trying to make things work and you're giving up."

"I can't do this anymore." This is when I realized I couldn't cry anymore. I wasn't sad, I was furious. If he's not gonna fight for this relationship neither will I. I'll fight, to prove him wrong. That was it. I would fight. In the women's league. If there was one, it'd be the perfect opportunity to keep Kaden's attention and show him that I don't need him.

"You can't do what any more?"

"Us. " I spoke as I exhaled a breath that I'd been holding since I'd last spoke.

"Faith don't. Don't do this. We've been through too much to give up on it now. On what we have."

"Stop it Kaden!" I yelled. When I spoke again it came out shaky, but more calm, "Just stop. You made your decision and now I'm making mine."

"I don't care how many times I have to prove myself, but I will show you. In any way possible. However long it takes. Whatever it takes."

"Good luck with that."

"Who's walking out on us now?" He sounded angrier. I watched him stand up and started pacing around the room before speaking again, but much more tranquil than before. "I will win you back. I always get what I want."

"Let's see if you still feel that way after I'm done proving you wrong."

To be continued...