From Protector To Lady Chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"Open it! Hurry," Amelia urged as the servant handed me the letter.

My fingers fumbled with the envelope before I tore it open. My mood was instantly cast dark as I read the first sentence.

————————————————————————————

I watched Rebecca's eyebrows gather together and her forehead crease in worry as she continued through the letter. Her hand was in front of her mouth, her features etched with emotions.

"Rebecca?" I spoke softly.

She shook her head slowly and I could see her eyes glistening with unshed tears.

"Rebecca, please, what is wrong?" I asked, reaching out a hand and placing it upon her knee.

She clutched the letter to her chest, her hands shaking as she stood up abruptly, her stitching falling to the floor forgotten.

"Excuse me," her voice weakly rattled out before she hurried out of the room, her long braid bobbing behind her.

I instantly stood up and quickly exited, hoping to see where she had turned but she was already gone.

"Sister, where is Rebecca going?" I heard Philip ask as he came around a corner of the hall.

"She went that way?" I asked, pushing myself passed him.

"Wait, what's going on?" he asked as he grabbed my arm.

"I do not know, she received a letter from what I can assume was from her family. She became extremely upset and stormed out. I fear something terrible has happened," I said as I looked around him, searching for my now dear friend.

"I don't understand....," he said quietly.  "Why would she turn to Stanton? I saw her seek comfort in his arms, not only but a few moments ago. She walked straight passed me without even looking up from the ground."

"What?" I asked, looking up at him, his face full of unanswered questions and what seemed to be pain.

——————————————————————————————————————

This could not be happening. My entire world was spinning and my face was soaked with the tears I could not hold back any longer.

My brother. My poor, baby brother. How could this have happened? I should have been there to protect him. I never should have left home.

I walked as quickly as I could, in hopes of finding the king. I had to tell him I must leave immediately. I could not stay any longer.

I gasped as my toe stepped onto my skirt which was a little too long and I was pitched forward. Before I could hit the ground I felt myself being stopped and held in place.

I blinked through my tears as I looked to the face of the man who held me upstraight.

"Shouldn't you be more careful of where you step? You might hurt somebody important," Stanton said in annoyance.

I felt it as I completely lost all control. The emotions that were contained in my heart were now being forced out through my entire being.

"Get away from me!" I hollered as I pounded on his chest, his arms still around me.

"Rebecca, are you crying?" He asked, his voice softer now that his eyes had registered my current state.

"No! Let me go," I said as I fought against him, wanting nothing more than to leave him and this entire castle.

"What is it?" He asked as he pulled me firmly to his chest, the soft fabric of his tunic caressing my cheek.

"I should have been there," I sobbed as I stopped fighting, desperately wanting to forget what I had just learned. I felt my muscles give out as I weeped into his arms.

"Rebecca," he whispered in my ear as he slowly rubbed my back, attempting to comfort me.

I shook my head, not wanting to speak, not wanting to feel.

"Shh, now," he soothed as I whimpered into his chest. I did nothing as I felt him lean over slightly and pick me up easily, now cradling me in his strong arms. I just put my face into his neck, crying silently as he began to walk.

We walked for what seemed an eternity until I felt him shift my weight before I heard a door open. I lifted my head up to finally look at my surroundings.

"Where am I?" I asked, my voice breaking.

"Shh, you will be safe from any prodding visitors here."

I looked around as I noticed a very large bed, covered in thick blankets and lush pillows. The room was adorned with beautiful rustic paintings and crafted ornaments, it even had its own fireplace.

"I thought you might like to be alone," he spoke again as he slowly set me down on the bed.

I nodded, thankful. I looked down as I tried to fight the new surge of tears that threatened to spill.

My heart shattered into pieces as I looked at the crumpled piece of parchment in my hand. Clutching it to my chest I curled up onto my side on the bed, not caring if he was watching. Not caring if he heard me cry. Not caring if I disappeared from the world.