Natsu X Reader: Mine.

~~~ This one was requested by LaureenThaoDragneel. Thank you for requesting, and I hope you like it!
P.S. This is about dragon slayer mating season, but there won't be and lemon scenes.
Enjoy!~~~

~(Y/n) POV~

Early spring.

Even without a calendar you could tell just by watching the dragon slayers.
Because of their special type of magic, they inherit many animalistic traits and instincts. One of these occurring during mating season. The dragon slayers were always very protective of their chosen mates, creating a tension through the guild.

This was what team Natsu was talking about as we sat eating lunch at the guild. At the moment, Natsu and Happy we're at home, so we took the opportunity to plan the next couple of weeks.

"Alright." Erza said, setting down her fork. "First thing we need is to know who his mate is. Then we can take action."

I was about to take another bite of my (f/f) when I felt her eyes land on me, and saw Gray smirk out of the corner of my eye.

"What? Am I supposed to know who it is?" I asked obliviously, putting my fork full of food back onto my plate.

"Depends, but we think it's you." Gray smirked slightly.

My face flushed bright pink and I heard a sudden choke from the blonde beside me.

"Me?! Like his mate?!" I shouted in reply, feeling my cheeks burn at the thought of being his mate.

Ever since he's saved me as a young girl I had slowly fallen deeply in love with him and his smile. The thought that he might actually return the feelings was overwhelming.

All of that hidden joy was crushed by the next addition to the conversation.

"Her?! Don't joke around with this guys! It's serious! Who's might actually be his mate?" Lucy. The certainty in her voice caused my heart to almost shatter on the spot.

"Lucy, calm down. Geez. I wasn't joking. You know how he acts around her. Isn't it obvious?" Gray shot back at her sudden outburst.

"Oh come on Gray! Are you really that blind to his feelings?! We've already proven who it is! He and I, we're soul mates." Her words echoed through my head, shattering any hope for love I had left.

"Just because that Mage said you're soul mates doesn't mean it's true. We need to know for sure." Erza stood up, signaling that the discussion was over, then she left us on our own.

I was still a bit shocked, but I quickly got over it and stood up as well, getting really to leave. Gray left as I was gathering my stuff, leaving just Lucy and I.

I felt an intense glare on my back, breaking me further.

A venomous whisper came from the girl behind me as I was about to leave.

"You don't even have a chance."

I felt my stomach clench and I balled my hands around the hem of my skirt. I stopped and took a sharp breath, then turned back to her.