[14]

ALLISON SAT IN the passenger seat of Jasper's car, a tense silence enveloping the two. The brunette sat perfectly still, hands clasped tightly together as Jasper gripped the steering wheel tightly. The car wasn't moving, Jasper had parked outside of Allison's house minutes ago. The brunette was staring at the dashboard, unblinking as Jasper stared at his hands.

"Say something," A twisted version of her boyfriend's voice hissed, "Tell me how disgusted you are. How scared you are. Say something!"

Allison turned her head, staring at Jasper as he slammed his fist on the steering wheel angrily. "I'm not any of those things. Why would I be?"

He looked at her for the first time since they'd entered the car, "Because I tried to attack your best friend right in front of you! I could have killed her, Allison. If that had been you, I would have killed you."

"You made a mistake. It's that simple. She's fine, she's not dead. You didn't hurt her, Jasper, you didn't hurt me. I'm fine. I hope you don't think so little of me that you think a measly vampire could get rid of me. I'm not going to be mad at you for making a mistake."

Jasper just look at her, unsmiling as he furrowed his eyebrows. He turned and opened the door, slamming it behind him. Allison sighed as she opened her own door and stepped out onto the gravel. The brunette frowned at her feet, shuffling them as Jasper stood several inches away from her. She looked up, frowning at the blonde as she stepped closer to him. Jasper took steps backward as Allison walked toward him.

"Would you stop that?" Allison snapped, balling her hands into fists as she stared at him. "Do you not realize that you acting like this is hurting me more than you ever physically could?"

Jasper felt guilt hit him directly in the chest as he looked at his mate's eyes. They were glossy with tears that she was trying to hold back. He stepped toward her, reaching his hand out to cup her cheek. Allison nudged her face into his hand, closing her eyes tightly together as she grabbed his wrist. Jasper sighed quietly, leaning down to kiss the crown of her head, clenching his eyes tightly as he did so.

"Goodnight, Allison," He pulled away from her, watching as she opened her eyes and revealed the chocolate brown irises that he loved so much.

"You're not staying?" The girl shook her head at her words, "Of course you're not."

Allison and Jasper stared at each other, the former smiling sadly, "Goodnight. I love you."

Jasper stayed silent for a second to long, that second informing Allison that something else was wrong. Something felt wrong, the girl realized as she gripped her boyfriend's wrist tightly.

"I know."

Allison furrowed her eyebrows, not bothering to hide her hurt as she backed away from him, dropping his hand. She was silent for a long moment, staring at the ground between them. The girl nodded her head, "Okay then. I'll see you later, I guess." She turned away from him and walked toward the front door of her house. Allison felt her shoulders shake with a sob and stilled them immediately, not wanting Jasper to see how much his words had affected her.

Jasper stood in the middle of the street, watching as the girl he loved walked away from him. He clenched his teeth as he felt her sadness wash over him like the waves in a hurricane. Jasper stared at her house until he saw her bedroom light turn on briefly, before it was turned off again. He kicked the side of his car and yelled as he heard Allison begin crying quietly.