28. playing with fire

Start from the beginning

I let out an annoyed sigh. "Yes, Dad."

Dante chuckled, Chris looked surprised, and Cameron winced. The combination of all three lured out a smile that stretched across my face. That seemed to release the building tension, and soon we were all more or less laughing. It had been easier to laugh lately. Each day I awoke with new energy and strength, and I almost felt ready to head back and face Gabriel.

Still wearing a far too pleased grin, Chris nudged me. "You deserve a drink." He poured me a shot worth of vodka, chuckling when he happened to pour a tad too much. "Oops."

For some reason, that warmed my heart. Perhaps it was possible to reach a new normal after everything that had happened.

We clinked our glasses just as music blasted from the speakers inside the villa, taking us both off guard. Dante stood by the stereo, grooving to the beat and scrolling through what must have been a playlist. I didn't recognize the song, but it didn't matter. I felt like dancing no matter what.

Chris flicked his straw and flashed me a relieved smile. Carefully, he placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed in reassurance. "It's really nice to see you smile freely again." He made it sound like he meant every word.

I didn't know how to respond, but I smiled wider. Slowly, I was returning to my old self—at least for now. I felt light, almost weightless, like nothing could keep me stuck on the ground. Or at least that sensation held until Chris hugged me tightly.

"It's great to have you back" He was speaking with a rare softness, close to my ear so the others couldn't hear what he said.

The music built in the background, begging me to forget my worries—demanding my attention and urging me to dance.

"Yeah."

He leaned back, creating some space between us. "Let's drown all our troubles and dance the whole night."

I couldn't help but laugh. We were reckless, but we were still young—who could blame us? If there was ever a time to let loose and not care so much about our past and our future, it was this night.

Cameron kept making drinks, all of us kept drinking, and soon we were all pretty much acting beyond our usual limits. We ordered pizza, which tasted weird compared to what we'd had in the States—we sang along to stupid songs that Dante had picked, and we danced as if the room was crowded.

Dante cut the music around midnight, swaying where he stood. "We should head to a club."

Cameron pointed at Chris. "You won't be able to touch loverboy, here. Besides, we're leaving tomorrow."

"Fucking hell," Dante swore and pulled Chris into his arms. They were unstable enough to somehow crash into the sofa.

"They're drunk," I said, realizing that Cameron stood a lot closer than mere seconds ago. I looked up into his mesmerizing eyes, again struck by his seriously long eyelashes.

He smiled. "So are you."

"What are you gonna do about it?" I challenged, not really knowing what I was after.

"Offer you water." He grinned.

"Water's for losers."

Cameron chuckled while I tried to smother a hiccup. "I shouldn't be encouraging this behavior. You're slurring."

I placed my hands on his shoulders, knowing that I shouldn't. "Maybe not."

"See, you're definitely drunk. I should be more responsible than this."

"Is it because I'm a student?" I asked.

He frowned, almost looking pained.

"Yes, you're my student, Adam, and in a few days, you'll be sitting at the back of class while I stand in front." He took a swig of his drink, averting his eyes. "And if anyone finds out I've been with you on this trip, I'll be in a serious trouble."