Chapter 5

We maneuver across the street and arrive at the front door not even a minute later.

Sharna let's go of my arm and gestures dramatically at the Chic-fil-a sign.
"Here we are! Heaven!!" Sharna says . Then she does something hilarious-hilariously absurd! She gets on her knees and says very very loudly.

"Thank you God for blessing us mortals with the glory of Chic-fil-a! W-we"
She starts crying and people stop and stare.Her hat falls off and lands upside down.

"We may not deserve this blessing that has sanctified our souls but we praise You and with all our hearts."
And as if God was actually listening a warm faint breeze whipped her pink hair to the side and a ray of light beamed down on her.

I look around and see an old woman wipping her eyes with a handkerchief and nodding as if Sharna is preaching the gospel.

For a moment the entire area is silent and I can estimate about 50 people listening and watching Sharna and I. Well mainly Sharna. She smiles and looks at me and winks.

"Oh great" I mumble to myself "What's she up to now?"
Then she stands up and smiles to the crowd. Her cheeks are still stained and her hair is still whipping graciously to the side. The beam of light is still on her too.

"Chic-fil-a lovers young and old join me in the praise of this restaurant and rejoice!"

People start clapping loudly and shouting stuff but Sharna waves and smiles like she's a preacher. And I say 'but' because she's acting like this is natural.As if she did this before-wait-what if-

She holds up one hand and the crowd silences immediately.

"Now I want us all to hold hands and pray for Chic-fil-a's prosperity through the centuries."

Everyone. Literally every single person in the Plaza made a circle and held hands as Sharna led the prayer.

"Now let's close our eyes and bow out heads."
Everyone did almost roboticly as Sharna spoke.
"Dear God,
Thank you for blessing us with this food that we can give to poor or rich and be assured that it is pure enough to be eaten by your people. You gave us this food to give to our children and our children's children. Please help bless and protect these people as they go about there days here on your Earth. Now in Jesus name I pray Amen."

Everyone repeats "Amen" after Sharna then they look up at her like they're expecting something. A miracle perhaps? Angel wings to sprout from her back? I just don't know.

I nudge her " Umm Sharna I think you should tell them to leave 'cause I'm getting hungry and I didn't exactly come here to watch you pray to some random people in the plaza.That's what church is for. I really think we should-"

"Hush young grasshopper." she says softly "The people want to speak."

My eyebrows knit in confusion. Grasshopper?The people? What's going to happen now? And as if she read my mind she nudges her hand in the direction of an old woman who has an old clawed hand raised up.

Sharna smiles and nods "You may speak."
The woman puts her clawed hand down and clears her throat.
"May I put in a prayer request?"
Sharna smiles " Of course Ms..... "
"..Makutu. Ms. Makutu."

A shiver goes down my spine. Makutu? I've heard that name before but I just don't know where...

Sharna speaks again " Ms. Makutu what do you want me to pray for?"
The woman's light cataract grey eyes collide with my green ones. I shiver again.

Something is off about this woman but I don't know what.

"I want you to pray for Alana's safety."
My eyes widen and the shivers turn into fierce trembling.I didn't even tell her my name....