Chapter 1

16 years later

"Don't talk to anyone but me. Don't look at anyone but me. Don't associate with anyone other than me." Mum jerks my chin up and looks me in my eyes "Got it?"

I swallow and bring myself to look at my mother.

"Do you understand?"she asks again, pinching my chin harder.

I look her right in her hazel brown eyes. Right now they look as brown as mahogany wood, hard with emotion.

"Yes Mum." I say finally.
"Good," she let's go of my chin and place a kiss on top of my head.
"You know Alana, everthing I do for you I do out of love," she cups my cheeks with her hands " trust me you wouldn't be here dearest if I didn't love you."

Her eyes melt away the wood and reveal the beautiful melted chocolate under neath. I smile. I know that everything my Mum does is out of love and no matter what she does to me I will never forget it.

"Now come in the family room when your ready to go outside and have some fun." She walks out my room and heads to the living room of our small one story grey house.

And then I remember...Fun. A word I had never put into play until today.

Every other birthday my Mum allows me to go outside in public . Why? Well. Because I was born in July 13th as a Cancer baby. You know like the zodiac kinds? Gemini,Leo,Virgo? I don't have the actual kind of cancer..well my great grandmother did but that's a story for later.

Anyway I was born on a dreaded day in July on Friday the 13th. Curses,black cats mirrors yeah all that good stuff.

Anyone born one 13th usually has a life of bad luck. That's why I can't go outside in public my Mum was afraid that something bad would happen to me.

I still learn, thankfully my Mum is a teacher so she home schools me. According to my mother I had an easy birth. As I was a baby she said I was an easy, easy child , no complications. Cancer babies are-according to history- sensitive,pratical,hate to argue, and forgive but never forget.

Most of it is right I'm sensitive, I forgive and never forget and I like to believe I'm pratical. The one thing that's wrong is that  they say I don't like to argue. I do like to argue. In my life I mean. I always have to ask "Why?" and with my mother I never get an answer without an argument. Therefore I must argue to get the info I need. The truth I need really. There's also the fact that-

"Alana c'mere I have your stuff!"
My mum's voice brings me out of my thoughts.
" Coming mum!" I say as I grab my black sweatshirt and hastily throw it on.

Then I slide into the living room with my blue socks on. I love doing that don't you? Sliding around on hardwood floors with your socks on? I did it as a kid and I guess I never grew out of it.

I lean over and grab the black Vans sitting by the door. I put on the shoes, tye the lace and jump up and say: " Ta da!"
My Mum sits up on the couch and puts her newspaper on the mahogany coffee table. The color that matches her eyes when she's strict. She looks at me up and down. "Good, you managed to dress normal today." she remarks smiling.
I laugh.
"I was 12 then mum!"
One time I was allowed to go outside in public and I wanted to rebel against my mother's choice of clothing . So once I got outside I ran behind a bush and trashed the brown sweatshirt she gave me and replaced it with a red sparkly one that said "Love me " on the back. I remember that once I got home my Mum freaked out and gave me a whooping on the butt with a belt.

"I know, I remember," she says reminiscing "but I have a gift . In honor of your 16th birthday." She gets up walks into the kitchen and retrieves a medium sized red box. She hands it to me and I take it. I plop down on the couch next to my mother and open the box slowly. Once I open it, inside is a beautiful sky blue Juicy Couture purse.

"Thank you soon much mum!!" I squeal as I hug my mother.
"That's not all look inside."
I unzip it and ...inside is a wad of money and an Samsung Galaxy s6!
I start to cry " Thank you soo much mum! This is the best gift I have ever gotten in my life." I give her a bear hug.

"I know dearest,I know," she says " you're growing up and I must let you. There's 250 dollars in cash in the purse and the phone already has my number and aunt Tia's number on it." She pulls away from me and I see tears welling up in her chocolate eyes. She places a kiss on my mess of hair and says
"Go have some fun."
"Okay" I say and head for the door. But then I remember something very very important.... I gotta pee! Public bathrooms are nasty you know.