Allison squinted her eyes, straining to see what he saw, "I think so." The brunette watched how Jasper's eyes lit up as he felt her sudden change in mood. She sped up a little and grabbed Jasper's hand, intertwining it with her own. The vampire smiled, lifting their hands and placing a kiss on her knuckles.

The couple walked in peaceful silence for a while longer, until Allison could perfectly see the light that Jasper spoke of earlier. Excited to see sunlight for the first time in months, the girl broke away from Jasper and ran toward the light. Allison stopped, gazing around in utter awe. The brunette had broken through the forest and into a beautiful little clearing, one that vaguely reminded her of the one near her house, but as she looked around she realized that that clearing paled in comparison to this one. The clearing was full of wildflowers and dandelions. Allison grinned as she reached her hand out and watched as the sunlight touched her fingertips.

"Jazz, look at this," Allison's voice was coated with wonder and excitement. The brunette smiled as she turned around to face her boyfriend. The girl furrowed her dark eyebrows when she didn't see Jasper behind her. Allison smiled lightly when she found him, leaning against a tree in the shade and watching her curiously. "Come here," She beckoned him over with a smile, running a hand through her curly hair.

Jasper stepped into the sun, gauging Allison's reaction. As soon as the vampire was touched by the sunlight, his skin sparkled like diamonds. The brunette was in awe of him, he was so beautiful that it almost hurt to look at him. Allison blinked and suddenly he was in front of her, smiling as he lifted his hand to her face. Jasper gently ran his thumb over her soft lips, watching as she smiled at his touch.

The duo laid on the ground beside each other, Allison drawing patterns on Jasper's neck as she propped herself up on her elbows. "What are these?" She wondered aloud as she traced a shining scar on his neck. Her voice was quiet, but she knew he could hear her.

Jasper smiled wryly, "Battle scars," His accented voice drawled bitterly. He continued, explaining his experience. "Like I said, I was the youngest major in the calvary. And then one day, I met a certain immortal, Maria. She was beautiful, of course, and she was with two others in the middle of the night. I immediately offered my aid, and she turned me into this, a monster who can't control himself, moments later," He paused when Allison tutted in disagreement.

"You handle yourself around me just fine."

"Not without extreme difficultly, darling." His voice had a hard edge to it, as if he disliked that statement.

"I was her second in command. I thought what Maria and I had was love, but I know better than that now. I was a puppet and she pulled the strings. She was creating an army of newborns, what our kind call newly turned vampires. New armies were fairly common at this time, so no one payed it much mind. The newborns were useless to Maria beyond their first year as a vampire, so she had me kill them. I could feel everything they felt. It was excruciating, feeling the terror they felt before death. I left eventually, and Alice was waiting for me. She'd seen me coming of course, Alice can see the future. Things got better after that, but I was always... for lack of better words, empty. I always felt like I was missing a part of myself. And then Alice saw you coming. God, she was so excited. She saw you a week before you arrived, a little short notice. Things got better when I found you. I didn't feel empty anymore. Granted, at first I wanted to kill you," He laughed and then furrowed his eyebrows in obvious bewilderment at his words, "But now, it pains me to even think about you in death, your pale skin no longer flushed with life." As if on cue, Allison's cheeks heated as he ran his long, slender fingers over them.

Allison wasn't sure what the proper response to that would be, but she tried anyway. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but it made for a nice story."

Jasper laughed quietly, "Only you would think that was a nice story," He mused as he flipped the two over, leaning down to press their foreheads together, eyes smiling at each other.

"I am so in love with you," Allison breathed, her minty breath hitting him in the face as she smiled up at him, believing her words wholeheartedly.

"I don't blame you," Jasper grinned, kissing the tip of her nose.

"Shut up and kiss me, you fool," The brunette grabbed his jaw and pulled his lips to hers, sealing them together as the sunlight beamed on the two.

The duo pulled apart when Allison needed to breathe. She laid her head back on the grass, the wildflowers acting as a soft pillow. The brunette looked up at Jasper from under her lashes, tilting her head slightly. "You mentioned something about Alice seeing the future?" It came out as question, her voice inquisitive as Jasper focused his attention, which had been on the surrounding area, back to her.

"It's a gift," He shifted so that his forearms were resting on either side of her face, bringing their faces closer together as he lowered his voice. "Some vampires are granted special abilities, ones that could be a supporting factor in their survival. Yes, Alice sees the future, but it's based off of decisions. If someone made a split decision to attack our family, Alice would see it."

"Does anyone else in your family have a gift?"

Jasper leaned his forehead to rest on her own, closing his eyes as he did so. "As you know, I'm gifted with being very empathetic, an empath," He spoke the word 'gifted' contrary to it's meaning. He spoke it like it was a curse, "And Rosalie has her beauty, Emmett has his strength, Carlisle and Esme have their compassion. And Edward can read minds."

Allison released a gasp, her doe eyes widening as Jasper let out a chuckle, the sound vibrating through his chest and into her own. "Don't worry. He can't read yours." The blonde reassured, gently wrapping one of Allison's stray curls around his long finger.

The brunette raised her eyebrows somewhat skeptically. He could read everyone's mind except her own?

"He also remains unable to read Bella's thoughts," Jasper spoke, as if he himself had read Allison's thoughts.

"Why can't he read mine?"

Jasper averted his eyes from her own quickly, seeming to find that the trees surrounding them held more interest. "We don't know." Allison furrowed her eyebrows, sensing the lie as it fell from his lips. His body language was uncomfortable, Allison noted, and he reeked of guilt. The brunette sighed quietly, moving out from under Jasper and rising to her feet.

***

another filler chapter wow