“That’s my favorite sound of all time,” an amused voice joked.

I jumped a foot in the air, snapping my eyes to meet amused clear ones. He ran his hand in his dark hair giving me one of his genuine smiles. He sat next to me, looking at the dark forest in front of us.

I would have been angry that he approached, but there was just something about the way he approached me tonight that said he wasn’t looking for a fight. For the first time in fourteen months, I agreed with him. I was tired of all this hullabaloo.

Yes, I just used hullabaloo.

“You’re still as cocky as ever,” I said, smiling slightly at the memories.

Weston smirked, causing my toes to curl. As cliché as it sounded, there was no other man that could measure up to to his looks. He was excessively handsome to compare.

“I see that you’re still a cranky, old woman trapped in a teenage body,” Weston joked.

I sighed inwardly. He was still the same. He didn’t change much after all.

“You’re comebacks are still lame. Come on, Marshall. Haven’t I taught you anything?”

“It’s hard for a student to learn if he had a crappy teacher.”

“Touché,” I smirked. “I thought you were hanging out with Eli.”

“Eli decided to cut up Jade’s undergarments,” He said, chuckling. Oh gosh, that sound. It was music to my ears. “I didn’t want to be there when Jade throws a tantrum.”

In that precise moment, I laughed at perfect timing. There was a loud crash inside the house. “Elliot Cooper,” Jade growled. “You are such an immature brat!” A high-pitched scream followed – a scream that only belonged to Elliot Cooper.

Weston and I erupted into laughter. Sure, it wasn’t a laugh that made me hiccup, but I still appreciated the fact that I actually laughed in his presence. The silence that followed was actually comforting.

I couldn’t believe that we were actually having a civil conversation.

“So, how’s your mom?” Weston asked, genuinely concerned. I didn’t know what possessed me, but there was just something about him that made me trust him.

“She’s fine,” I sighed. “I just wished I was there to save her. She wouldn’t be suffering right now.”

“It’s not your fault,” he said. Call me crazy, but I think he scooted the tiniest bit closer to me. “You didn’t know it was going to happen. You should stop blaming yourself for everything, Ells.”

“So, you and Hayley?” I asked. Well, in actuality, I blurted it out. I couldn’t help it. The burning curiosity couldn’t be contained any longer. In addition, I wanted to stop talking about my mom before I ended up having a break down again.

His eyes widened, before he scratched the back of his neck. “It’s nothing,” he said simply, shrugging.

For some reason, his answer angered me. I pushed my brown hair out of my face, sure that my green eyes were blazing with anger. “It’s nothing?” I snapped. “What do you mean it’s nothing?”

Was he using her? She was such a sweet girl. For him to be doing that to her was totally wrong. She did nothing wrong to him and he was kissing her up for a heartbreak.

“You wouldn’t understand, Ells,” Weston whispered, irritation blazed in his blue eyes.

“Oh, please enlighten me,” I snapped sarcastically.