Fifty

Just in case you're wondering, they're some quotes in here that inspired the entire book.

Also, last chapter, I added some last minute edits to it but just in case you didn't see them in time I wanted to clear something up. The baby was staying with Polly while Tommy and Toni went on their trip. I think, in the back of my mind, it was implied to me so I forgot to write it down.

Still, thanks MindComplex for noticing and pointing that out to me. Okay, happy reading.

~

It's like she holds both of our hearts and our souls for us, so I don't have to. And I know I don't have to shield my heart because she's shielding it for me.

Tommy sat up in bed and softly kissed Toni on her temple.

"Goodbye, love," he whispered, not wanting to wake her.

She's given me permission to do what I need to do and to be all I have to be. She has given me freedom. She has given me love. She has given me peace.

He fastened his coat and secured his cap, opening the front door.

When I come back, he told himself, it'll be the both of us. Just us. Against the whole fucking world. We'll have everything.

He got into the car and started it up, looking back at the front door one more time.

And anyone who gets in our way... well they'll just have to learn the hard way not to fuck with Tommy and Toni Shelby.

Tommy grinned and drove down the street.

~

"What time is he coming?" John asked.

"Runners say he'll be here within the hour," Tommy said.

Tommy was in the office, strategizing with his brothers.

"Drink up," Tommy said, patting Arthur on the back, "it'll settle your nerves."

Tommy poured drinks for the three of them and set them on the table. Then he pulled out a cigarette.

"How many men have we got, Arthur?" He asked, lighting it.

"Just under fifty, Tommy," Arthur said before slowly taking a sip of his drink.

Tommy looked at Arthur. "Under fifty?" He asked. "We had five hundred men a week ago. We were prepared. What happened?" he asked, upset.

"Five hundred...minus all the private home security." John spoke with an almost indiscernible amount of envy. But Tommy detected it.

"Don't forget, protecting the bookies," John continued. "And then the few stationed deep within Birmingham just to keep the Langely boys in check... as well as our other enemies."

John looked at Tommy before speaking again. "A lot has happened since you've been gone, Tommy," he said.

"Is there a problem, John? Perhaps with my trip?" Tommy asked. Daring his brother to step out of line.

John closed his eyes and bit his tongue; he knew he had to be very careful with what he said next.

Shaking his head he said, "No, Tommy." Then he looked away; he was suddenly not able to stand the sight of his brother.

"Now," Tommy said, returning to business. "We have fucking fifty men out there because of your poor budget of our men and resources-"

"If you had given us more control over the fucking resources then none of this would have happened!" John shouted. "When you left, Tommy, that woman, no, that slut took full control of where her men went and when. Don't you tell us about a fucking budget, aye."

"Is there a problem, John?" Tommy powerfully reiterated. "Because, if there's a problem we can go outside and settle it like real men. Instead of bitching about it like fucking children," he said.

John took a deep, tense breath.

"You spent all that time up there with Toni in London in your fancy fucking townhouse, when you should've been down here making sure you'd win this battle for her," John said. "Because, if you don't," he shook his head, slowly, "then she's dead. Then we're all dead."

"If you don't like the way I'm running my business, then you can walk right out of that door, John." Tommy pointed to the door. "Go on, no one will miss you."

John nodded. "Alright then," he said, heading to the door. "Just don't get yourself killed."

Then he left.

Tommy took a deep breath.

"What the fuck was all that about?" Arthur asked.

Tommy slightly shook his head, dismissing the topic altogether.

"We're a man short. But we still have fifty men," he said. "That could work."

Arthur nodded.

"Unless Glasgow has a hundred," Tommy thought aloud.

"Then it'll have to work," Arthur said.

"Aye, it'll have to work," Tommy whispered.

~

John walked down the street. He had no idea where he was going, yet, he went there quickly.

He walked down alleyway after alleyway. Road after road, he meandered the streets of Birmingham.

Putting his hands into his pockets and focusing his attention solely on what was directly before him, John thought of Toni.

It was not anything unusual for him; he thought about her all the time. In fact, recently, she had become all that he could think about.

He just wanted her to be safe and to not have to worry about a fucking thing. John wished he could send Toni far away, so that she would be protected.

Yeah, London was far. Tommy was smart for that one. But John would do as much as to send her to the farmlands. Maybe even as far as America.

John knew his imagination was getting the best of him. But he had never experienced this before.

He had never just looked in a person's eyes and dreamed of running away with them. Or felt completely devoted to someone whom he had never even really kissed.

John had little control over how he felt or even how he acted when it came to Toni. She was something new.

He continued to think and daydream. Street by street, minute by minute, he would walk until his restlessness went away.

Suddenly, John heard voices, an incredible amount of voices. Stepping around the corner, he saw something that caught his breath.

He immediately started to run back to the office. Just around that corner was a legion of men.

Fuck what the runners said. This war was starting now.

~

I'm almost positive that this is the second to last chapter. I only plan on writing one more after this, and then I'll be finished with book two. But, then again, I'm not sure.

I really hoped you enjoyed and I'm so thankful for all the reads, comments, and support you've been giving me.

I was just reading back through some old chapters and was reminded of how much of a WILD ride I've been putting you through. Thank you for staying faithful even through the bumpy areas.

Don't forget to comment and vote :)

Let me add, I love Cillian Murphy very much and I want to watch every movie he's ever been in because he is amazing.

Ok, that is all ❤️