Chapter 7- Final Preparation

A/N: Sorry it's so late guys! But I won't be updating as quickly because school and stuff. I just started an SAT prep class and I have AP exams in May so I've gotta get my game up. But, I'll try to update anyway!

"I think you guys are done," Tiergan said, staring at all the completed workbooks.

"Done?!" Sophie repeated. "Done with what?"

Fitz smiled at her. "Done with our Cognate training. We're officially Cognates."

Tiergan held his hand out. "Well, not officially. You still have to take the final test tomorrow, but then you will officially become Cognates." He gave them a knowing smile. "I have no doubt that you will pass the test." He turned to Sophie. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

She nodded as he pulled her aside. "Did you tell him about... You know?" he whispered.

Sophie laughed. "Yeah I told him when he proposed," she not-so-subtly slipped in, holding out her ring. Tiergan smiled.

"Congratulations! I don't think I've ever heard of Cognates marrying," he marveled.

Sophie frowned. "Will that cause any problems?"

Tiergan shook his head. "It'll only make the bond stronger." He turned to Fitz. "Congrats on the wedding."

Fitz's face reddened, but he smiled. "Thank you. But we're thinking of getting married only in a few years, after Sophie finishes the elite levels."

"That sounds like a good idea," Tiergan agreed. "I don't know what will be on the Cognate test... It changes every time. But I have no doubt you two will be able to handle it."

*~*~*~*

"Don't forget about the emotional center," Sophie reminded, stifling a yawn. She and Fitz had been poring over all of their Cognate training books in preparation for their test tomorrow... And three years of textbooks was a lot.

Fitz closed the book, a yawn escaping his lips as well. "I think we're good," he muttered, closing Sophie's book for her. "Just remember the pathways and trust and the stabilization and..."

But when he turned to look at Sophie, she was already asleep.

Smiling to himself, Fitz tiredly stacked up all the books at the corner of the table and propped Sophie's head on a pillow from the couch. Just as his own eyes began to shut, he drifted off to sleep on the warm couch.

Sophie and Fitz woke up to a soft squeal and sunlight streaming through the window. Rubbing her eyes, Sophie turned to look in the direction of the squeal.

"You guys look so cute!" Biana gushed. Raising her eyebrows, Sophie looked around to see the Cognate training books neatly stacked in the corner of the table and Fitz's arm wrapped around her. They must have fallen asleep during training.

Extricating herself from Fitz's grasp, Sophie rose off the couch. "Didn't someone say that he was a snuggler?" Sophie remembered, laughing slightly.

Biana nodded, her smile quickly morphing into a frown. "That was Alvar, back before-"

Before Biana could finish her sentence, Alden walked into the room, clucking his tongue at the time. "Almost time for your Cognate test," he reminded. "Is Fitz awake yet?"

As if on cue, Fitz groaned from the couch and clutched the pillow tighter to his chest. "Whazzall the racket?" he murmured, refusing to open his eyes.

Biana shook his shoulder. "You have your Cognate test today. Wake up!" she yelled in his ear.

"Aah!" Fitz shot off the couch, his hands poised to ward off an attack. When he saw it was just Biana, he rolled his eyes and rubbed his ear. "Not cool," he chided. "That hurt."

Sophie laughed. "I'm going to get going home. I have to get ready before the test."

"Okay bye," Fitz leaned over and quickly kissed her. In front of everyone.

Sophie's face was still burning as she held the crystal up to the light.

*~*~*~*

"Okay, okay," Sophie encouraged as she chanted the vocabulary words under her breath. "I can do this... I can do this..." She scanned the numerous terms she had jotted down. "I can't do this!" she gave up, collapsing on her bed. "I'm going to fail and then we'll never be Cognates and then Fitz will hate me and then we'll never get married and then..."

Edaline peeked into the room. "What's this about not getting married?" she joked. "Or Fitz hating you? I highly doubt he'll hate you just a because you guys don't become Cognates."

"I guess," Sophie agreed, half a smile on her face. "But I'm just nervous. What if it turns out badly? We've worked this hard, and I don't want it to go to waste."

"And it won't," Edaline assured. "Do you trust him?"

"With my life."

"Then you'll be fine," Edaline finished. "Now go get ready, the test is in an hour."

In an hour, Sophie was standing in front of the gates at Everglen, continuously smoothing down her red tunic and resisting the urge to tear out an eyelash. Even after years of not doing it, the unusual habit popped up at the most stressful times.

"Are you ready?" Fitz asked, opening the gate for her. He smiled when he met her eyes. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you," Sophie whispered, her face as red as her dress. "I'm so nervous. I hope it's not too hard."

Fitz grinned. "Whatever it is, we can get through it. We're the unstoppable duo of Telepaths, right?"

"We will be after this test," Sophie joked. "But you seem awfully calm for this."

Fitz shrugged. "I know we'll pass. We've done all we can, and I trust you more than anyone else in the world. If that doesn't mean we'll become Cognates, I don't know what does."

Sophie smiled. "Fair enough."

With one last look at the glowing gates, they held their crystals up to the light, ready to take the test that would determine their futures.

A/N: Ooh cliffy! But I guess it's better than leaving a cliffhanger right at the end of the test saying if they are Cognates or not. I know this chapter is short, and I'm trying hard to update, but I just don't have as much time. Oh also! My friend allter8 and I began planning our Halloween costumes (I know it's January but it's okay!) and I'm thinking of being Biana while she's being Sophie. I'm so excited... But I have to wait a bunch of months. Until then, I guess I can just sew the gold trimming onto my cape that I'll wear. See you all later!