Chapter 1: Nightmares

"Lance!.....Wake. Up. Lance!" I hear my roommate yelling for me to awake from my slumber. I open my eyes slowly to see her eyes fixed on mine.
"Get up" she says, rolling her eyes and walking back to her room. Her name is Rachel and she is my best friend.... Actually... she's my only friend. I've always had a hard time making new friends and honestly, I rather have people stay away from me for their own well being.
I groan and look around, "why did you wake me up Rachel?" I ask rising from my bed slowly and walking to her room. "We have stuff to do remember? Besides don't you have to go to work?" She asks me. Of course, how could I forget? My job is the only thing that distracts me from these dreams, or should I say nightmares?
I don't know.....all I know is that I can't tell anyone about them. Its for their own good and safety. I sigh and walk away from her room and start to get ready for work. I start with the simple things:
brush my teeth.
Take a quick shower.
Fix up my hair and squeeze in a small breakfast....but I never get to the last part since I hardly ever eat. I organize my outfit for the day and I get dressed. Once dressed, I proceed to the door and leave, going outside and getting on my bike, riding off towards my job.
I arrive at my job 10 minutes early. I walk inside with the spare key and sigh in slight irritation. Everything is unorganized and out of place and I become frustrated knowing that I have to fix it. After I organized everything according to size the store started to open up and bloom with business.
I meet many people with different types of stories to tell. And the best part about it is all I have to do is listen. The limited amount if interaction with these strangers is my favorite part of my job. I don't have to speak or touch anyone. Its the only blessing that I have so far. I start to help out a woman looking for a gift for her son. As I help her pick the so called "perfect" shirt, I start to get uneasy.
I stop in my tracks and my mind just goes blank and my thoughts become vacant.
8.11.16. 8pm. Marie Jenkins
What is this?....what are these numbers? This name? Why does it feel like I've seen this name before? As my thoughts start to flood my mind again, I hear a woman's voice. "Excuse me sir?" I turn and see the woman looking at me in concern. "Are you alright? You look sick" she asked me. "Y-yes.....I'm fine ma'am" I say giving a fake smile. She nods and I continue to help her, suppressing my thoughts to the back of my mind.
-Later-
I headed back to the apartment after work. I knew Rachel wasn't coming home any time soon, so I might as well enjoy the silence while I can. I sit down on my bed and turn on the TV. Its a news report. I never watched the news, I hardly ever watched TV, but something about this broadcast caught my attention for some reason. All of a sudden the numbers flashed in my head again
8.11.16. 8pm....
I push away my thoughts once again and turn off the TV. I lay on my bed looking up at the ceiling. I watch my ceiling fan spin slowly, drifting into a small trance and putting myself to sleep.
Hours later, I wake up in a cold sweat. I gasp for air as I pant harshly. I close my eyes a few times trying to calm down. 'What was that? That was the worst one yet' I thought. Another nightmare....this time it really shook me up. Multiple words continue to linger in my mind.
Death.......Marie Jenkins
Murder.......
8.11.16
I shake my head and check the time. 12:35pm. Great.....I only slept for thirty minutes. Well I guess I won't be sleeping tonight.....or anytime soon. I get up and go to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I sip the cold beverage struggling to ignore my thoughts
'What could these words possibly mean?'.....
---------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys this is aoba seragaki. This is my first story so I hope you guys like it and I hope its not too bad. I've been thinking about publishing a story for a while but I never had the courage to do so. I will try to update daily but for now I hope you enjoy this first chapter. Peace out!