Chapter 8

Enjoy Friends!

Eren was tense. They were waiting for things to actually start and he could only feel himself worry. They had to let Mikasa take off; she could not possibly keep fighting. He had been cocky about it when they were discussing their strategy, but he was really just worried.

So much could happen. He wanted a good outcome. How likely was it, though? Mikasa was one of the Scouting Legion's best soldiers. She was needed. Yet, she was pregnant. Eren knew that they had made a mistake; they both knew it. They were just kids...having a kid of their own.

It took all of his self-control to hold back his tears, to hold back from doing something drastic and stupid. It was a silly thought, but he wondered if he could just transform and take Mikasa away from there. His mind raced with a million thoughts, all ending in awful outcomes.

He was so worried. He cared so much for her and he did not want to see her harm's way. They could not possibly let her continue on in the force for the time being, could they? If they did not let her continue, would they eradicate her from the Scouting Legion? What would happen then? Would they send her off on her own? Would Eren be able to help her through this? Would he get to see his child? He loved them so much and the thought of losing Mikasa or his unborn child, it was all too much to bear.

"Calm down."

"Huh?"

Eren was brought out of his stupor as Levi placed a hand on his shoulder. He looked down to the shorter man.

"Worrying will get you nowhere." Eren was about to interject, but Levi would have none of it. "I told you I would help you, didn't I? You have to trust me on this."

Shivers went up Eren's spine. Could he trust the captain? His thoughts flashed back to the last time he had trusted people in a critical situation. Levi took note of this and muttered, "Don't think about that."

Eren just went silent. Did he have any choice but to trust Levi?

The courtroom went silent as things started.

"Mikasa Ackerman."

Mikasa stood up and nodded in acknowledgement.

"You're asking for maternity leave from the Scouting Legion?"

"Yes, sir," She replied. A hand unconsciously came to rest upon her swollen stomach as she felt the baby make small movements from within. She quietly hushed her child, hoping it would calm down some. She was already a ball of nerves-though she hid it well-and the little kicks were not helping.

"Are you aware of the potential you hold for the Scouting Legion?"

"Yes."

"Yet you still wish to take leave?"

She felt numb. How could she be asked these things? She was only doing what she could to protect her child. Did they not see that? She just wanted to bring her child into the world as safely as she could, and this was being questioned.

"Yes, sir, for the sake of my child."

Dallis studied her expression. "Is that so?"

"Yes."

Anger boiled inside of her. How hard was it to see she was doing whatever she could to protect her child? Even though it had not yet seen the light of day, she loved the baby. It was created from her love with Eren and she would do whatever she could to protect it, along with its father. How hard was it to see that she was just trying to look out for her growing family? Eren and the baby were all that she had left in the world and it angered her that they could not understand her intent to protect her family.

Still, she kept her composure. It was best not to do anything drastic. One wrong move and she knew it could all crumble. It was what they worked against doing; she could not ruin that.

He still did not seem convinced, no matter what she tried. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Eren start to seethe. She knew he was angry as well-and for good reason-but they had to keep calm. She sent him a threatening glance just as Levi hit him from behind.

"Since it's likely he's from the sect, who is the father? Assuming you know who he is."

Eren was almost over the edge. Levi once again had to quietly reprimand him. How dare he think Mikasa had no clue of their child's parentage? What did they think she was? Did they think she had no clue of with whom she had sex? Eren was red with anger and Levi had to hold back the boy.

Mikasa took a breath, trying to ignore the scene that Eren was trying to start. She looked up confidently to Dallis and firmly told her lie: "Armin Arlert."

That was it. Armin quickly prepared himself mentally. He said he would do it and he was ready to take the blame if it meant that Mikasa and the baby could be safe from the experimentation that would be bound to happen if the truth slipped.

"Armin Arlert."

Armin quickly saluted, spitting out, "Yes, sir."

"What do you have to say about this?"

"I'm a hormonal teenage boy with needs."

It was silent. The question arose if he, too, would be punished in some way as well. He had committed to this and there was no backing out now. He would have to be strong, be brave.

Dallis looked back and forth between Mikasa and Armin. What was best for humanity's sake? Humanity was on the brink of extinction, so a new life, a new little being, was a wonderful thing, yet Mikasa was an excellent soldier and the Scouting Legion needed her. They were just kids, though, kids that made a mistake.

"Ackerman."

Mikasa brought her attention to him.

"Do you plan on leaving the Legion?"

"Absolutely not; I only ask for my absence on missions outside the wall for the time being until my child is born. I'm willing to do whatever I can from inside."

He glanced over to the rest of the group. His eyes landed on Zoe. "I suppose that's why you're here, Squad Leader Hanji."

"Yes," She answered, "I would be happy to let Mikasa help with my research until she can return to the field. This way research can even continue while I'm out with the rest of the Legion."

"Commander." Attention was brought to Erwin. "How do you feel about letting Miss Ackerman having leave?"

"I feel it is in her best interest."

"Very well."

There was more silence. Dallis appeared to be thinking over things. The atmosphere was tense as the result was being decided.

"Mikasa Ackerman."

The tension intensified. This was it. This was when they found out it if things were over or if everything could be okay.

"Humanity is already at the brink in population and we cannot stand to risk losing a new life. You are hereby allowed maternity leave."