6. Exodus

"Ailysia, you have to find out what's on the other side of that door." Misty said, her voice garbled a bit by chewing. The omelet baguette in her hands was disappearing fast under her attack. "From everything you told me, that seems to be the key."

"The last two times I tried, something blocked my memory. Or maybe that was just me refusing to remember." Ailysia tapped her fingers on the bench, and flicked a stray leaf into the weeds. She was feeling a bit antsy. Or maybe just hungry. Despite having already finished her own lunch—a tuna sandwich and a pear, watching Misty eat had somehow made her feel starved all over again.

"Was it really scary?" Pedra, sitting on the bench next to her, asked.

Pedra was eating macaroni and cheese bought from the cafeteria, Ailysia noted. Usually, Ailysia found cafeteria lunches a little too salty, but today the macaroni looked so creamy and delicious. With a conscious effort, she tried to shift her thoughts away from food, and to answer Pedra's question.

"It was terrifying." She admitted. "But what really got me was the despair. Like I've lost everything. I've never felt anything like that before."

And then it struck her—she had in fact felt that despair once. The scene unfolded in her memory: the living room strewn with papers, both medical records and legal documents, the phone smashed on the floor, and her grandmother on her knees next to the fireplace, head bowed and wailing. She pictured her nine-year-old self in that scene, standing helplessly at the door, feeling her world coming to an end.

A hole was gouged in her heart that day, when she lost her mother. But the years since had dulled the pain, and the emptiness had been filled with new experiences, new memories. Looking back at it now, Ailysia didn't feel the same helplessness. There was strength in her that hadn't been there before. She had her friends, and her whole life ahead of her.

"I'm going to try again tonight." She announced, determined. "I will get to the bottom of this mystery."

"Can I help?" Pedra offered eagerly. "I will keep my phone on tonight. Before you go to bed, and after you wake up, you can text me. I'm great with moral support!" As Ailysia locked eyes with her, Pedra blushed a little and tried to temper the eagerness of her voice. "I mean, only if you want it..."

"Thanks. But I don't want to bother you late at night." Ailysia said gently, smiling. She truly appreciated the gesture, and just the thought that she could count on Pedra made her feel braver. Of course, her greedy stomach chose to show its appreciation by growling loudly at that exact moment.

"Oh, are you still hungry? Do you want to have some of my walnut brownie?" Pedra began unwrapping the brownie she bought from the cafeteria.

"It's okay. I'm really fine." Ailysia protested, her face heating up from embarrassment. She couldn't just take Pedra's lunch! But Pedra was already splitting the brownie in half, and her eagerness made it impossible for Ailysia to decline the offer. So she took the half piece and thanked Pedra.

Ailysia bit into the brownie, meaning to nibble, but the chewy sweetness was so appetizing, that she soon abandoned daintiness and chowed it down. Still, she felt it necessary to make an excuse. "It must be my alien DNA acting up."

Misty laughed, and scarfed down the last bite of her sandwich. "I wish I can use that excuse."

****

It was 8:30pm. Usually, Ailysia didn't go to bed this early, but tonight she couldn't wait to uncover the mystery. She changed into her pajamas, washed up, and checked her phone one last time. There was one text from Pedra.