[02]

Pulling her silver car into the muddy driveway, Skylar stepped out and looked at the small house where Jacob lived. Walking towards and knocking at the door, she smiled as Billy opened it up, revealing the inside of the house to her. She scanned the cozy area. "Billy. Where is Jake?"

"He's down in the garage, working on the car," Billy responded.

Shaking her head, the young woman laughed. "Of course he is. Where else would he be."

"Be safe, Sky." As he gave her a look Skylar couldn't decipher, she pondered the double meaning behind his words before giving a hesitant smile and strode towards the small building. "Looks nice." Looking inside the structure, she nodded. "Well lived in."

Jacob Black was sitting under his car, twisting some random object Skylar didn't have a clue about when the newly turned eighteen year old came in. Glancing up, the younger boy smiled as she emerged in his view. "Skylar Swan, aye? I didn't know if you were actually going to come by," he said, motioning his hand outside, where the light was slowly fading into a darker tone, hinting at evening.

"It's been a long day," she laughed. "But it's been a while since we've hung out so I definitely had to make the trip."

Jumping up, Jacob was about to speak when he was interrupted by hooting coming from the outside. He calmed her as he saw the slightly alarmed look come over her face. "Don't worry. It's just my boys." True to his word, two boys similar to his age came strolling through the door, a hint of surprise on their faces as they saw her. "Um, Skylar. This are my friends, Quil and Embry."

"So you actually have friends," Skylar snorted. "I had to see it to believe it."

The one on the right – Embry – chuckled. "I like her." Skylar tilted her head and squinted her eyes, scanning the boy for a moment before turning to face Jacob again, who was glaring at the other boy.

"I better be going anyways. Charlie wants to take me out for dinner like old times." After giving Jake a bear hug, him wishing her one last birthday wish, and a nod at the two boys, Skylar walked towards her car, ignoring the playful yelling in the building with a smile on her face.

"This was great, Dad. Thank you." Turning on the lights inside their house, Skylar and Charlie both let out a sigh as they entered the kitchen. "And while it is my special day, most teachers don't care so if you need me I will be upstairs."

Bounding upstairs towards her room, Skylar stopped when she saw Bella's door open. Walking in, she was looking at her phone. "Hey Bells. How was the Cullens?" When she didn't get an answer, Skylar looked up to see a pale Bella sitting by her desk. "Bella?"

Her twin slowly faced her completely. Looking her in the eyes for a few seconds before glancing back down, Bella sucked in a breath. "Um. It was good."

Hearing the hesitance in her voice, Skylar slowly skimmed her sister, stopping at the gauze that was wrapped around her arm. "Bella. What happened to your arm?" Once again, there was not answer. "Bella, who hurt you?"

After a long pause, she looked up. "There was, a uh, accident at Edwards..." she choked out.

"He hurt you?" Skylar all but screamed out, looking at her incredulously. "Bella what the hell actually happened?"

"I promise you, Sky. It was just an accident."

Scoffing, Skylar reached down and touched her wounded arms. "If it was an accident, then why are you so pale? And don't joke about this either, Bella."

"We almost wrecked." Bella spluttered out. "Edward and I. On the way back. We almost hit another car."

Giving another slight scoff, Skylar sighed and nodded, ignoring her blatant lie. "I hung out with Jake and a few of his friends. You should meet them, meet other people," she emphasized.

"Okay." Without looking at her twin, Bella continued. "Sky I really am okay," she said, as if trying to convince herself.

Walking out the door, Skylar set her jaw, determined. She was going to talk to Edward the next time she saw him.