[07]

Skylar hadn't been able to really focus on anything since she had last visited Jake. As hard as she tried, her mind always went back to the stranger. Why couldn't she stop thinking of him?

"Okay. We should be back around 3:00," Charlie said. Skylar shook herself out of her thoughts and looked over Charlie. "Fishing?" she asked.

"Yep." Walking over to Bella, he paused. "Hey. Look, I don't have to go fishing today."

"Yes, you do," Harry said. Bella nodded her head, agreeing. "Yeah, you do. Go. What are you talking about? Besides, I have Skylar." Skylar looked between the two before saying, "Be careful."

Scratching his head, Charlie walked towards Harry. "Always am."

Reassuring the girls, Harry said, "Those bears won't get the drop on me, girls. My kung fu is strong." Skylar snorted, rolling her eyes. "Go."

Watching the men walk out the door, Bella looked at Skylar. "I'm going to, like, head to Jake's house. See if I can talk to him." Remember her attempt, Skylar stared at the floor. "Okay. I'll come with you, yeah?"

Reaching his house, Skylar squinted when she saw Jake walking in the heavy rain. Getting out of the truck, she paced towards the muscular teenager. "Jake! Hey!"

He slowly came to a stop and turned to face the twins. Bella marched up to him. "You cut your hair off? And got a tattoo?"

He looked down at his arm before staring at her. "Bella."

"I thought you were too sick to come outside," she continued. "Or pick up the phone when I call." Still staring at her, he quietly responded, "Go away. Both of you."

"What?" Bella stuttered. "Go away," he repeated. "What happened to you? What's... Hey! What happened?" Bella jerked him back.

"Is it Sam?" Skylar spoke up, remembering the previous day. "Is that what's happening?"

Jake glared at her, making her shrink back. "Sam's trying to help me. Don't blame him. But if you want somebody to blame, how about those filthy bloodsuckers you love, the Cullens?

Skylar wrinkled her eyebrows, confused. "Bloodsuckers? What are you talking about Jake?" He looked at her then back at Bella. "She doesn't know?" He said, shaking his head. Skylar stepped up, saying, "Know what?" When she didn't get a response from either of them, she scoffed and threw her hands up in the air.

"You've been lying to everybody. Charlie. Skylar," he said, shaking his head. "But you can't lie to me. Not anymore."

"Jacob!"

Skylar peered around Jake to see Sam and his cult, including the man from the other day. Frozen, she stared at them.

"Bella. We can't be friends anymore," he said, looking upset. Bella shook her head, "Look, Jake. I know that I've been hurting you. It's killing me. It kills me. I just need... Maybe give me, like, sometime or something."

"It's not you," he began to say, Skylar interrupting him. "It's not you, it's me? That's what you're going to say to her? Are you fucking kidding me?"

"It is me," he insisted. "I'm not good. I used to be a good kid. Not anymore. This doesn't even matter. All right? This is over."

"You can't break up with me," Bella stuttered. "I mean...I mean, you're my best friend. You promised me."

"I know. I promised I wouldn't hurt you, Bella. And this is me keeping that promise," he nodded her towards her truck. "Go home and don't come back... Or you're gonna get hurt." Looking at Skylar like he knew something she didn't, he gave them both one last look before jogging away.