Chapter 6: ninjas on wheels

For the first time in forever, I woke up early, like real early. Actually, I was up the first which gave me more time in the shower, and I even took it upon myself to make breakfast. Just as I started on the eggs, an orange-clad turtle walked in, shocked by what he was seeing.

"Sky? What are you doing up so early?" He said, rushing to my side as fast as lightning "did you stay up?"

"No, I just woke up early that's all" I said smiling "and I thought it'd be a nice change if you didn't have to make breakfast today"

"I don't know..."

"Why not?" I questioned

He indexes to the omelet catching fire "I don't think that's how you make eggs"

I bit down on my lower lip to prevent myself from screaming and waking the others up. I dropped the frying pan to the floor and hurried to the sink, filling up a bowl with water and dumping it on the fire. A sigh of relief left my lips once it was out.

"You can't cook, can you?"

"Yeah" I rapidly gave in "my mom never taught me how to cook"

The turtle seemed to choke on his saliva as he heard this "What? Why?"

"She always told me that where I'm going, cooking is a waste of time" I explained, cleaning up after myself

"Where is that?" Mikey asked, helping me clean up the mess "is it pizza land?!"

"I don't know" I admitted with a shrug "she always talked about how my future would be bright like the sun. But she never really clarified those statements"

He flashed me his toothy grin, his freckles bouncing on his cheeks as he did so "your mom sounds like a cool dude, I mean, dudette"

"Yeah, she was" I said, trying not to sound sad

Mikey was quick to notice my discomfort and came to my rescue "hey, why don't we go play some video games?"

"Sure" I smiled at his highly contagious cheerful mood "but before we do any of that, why are you up this early?"

"Uh, well...truth is..." He started sweating, scratching the back of his head nervously "I like to go up to the surface and skate while my brothers are asleep"

"You can skate?!" I said in surprise

His grin only increased "like a turtle do"

"I've always wanted to skate!" I gasped "you gotta teach me!"

"Then forget the video games" he pumped his fist in the air "let's go skating!"

"Shhh!" I hushed all the while trying to contain my giggles "the others are sleeping"

"Let's go" he whispered-yelled

He went to his room and retrieved two skateboards and soon we were off. It didn't take us much time to find the perfect skating rank. I examined the area, making sure no one else was around.

"Okay, what's my first lesson, Mikester" I said with excitement

He placed a skateboard in front of me "first things first, you must become one with the board"

I raised an eyebrow at him "become one with a skateboard...how's that even possible?"

He stuck his finger over my lips to silence me "you shall become one with the board by personalizing it!" He exclaimed, pulling out from behind him a load of markers, paint, stickers,...

"You want me to decorate my skateboard?" he gave me a nod and so I decided it was best to just go with it

~~~