Epilogue

I sighed and leaned back further into the chair as I set my book down, trying to concentrate on something else for now. I'd started having really minor contractions sometime this afternoon, but according to Val, they were nothing Hiccup and I had to worry about just yet. But, of course, Hiccup was being Hiccup, and he had been absolutely freaking out the entire day. And matters were made worse when he was called into a meeting, forcing him to leave me. Of course, I had Astrid and Eret, whom he had left me with, and his mother when I needed her, but I knew that wouldn't quell him.

"Astrid, nothing's working," I groaned, staring up at the ceiling of the first floor. "I think they're getting worse."

She made her way in from the kitchen and looked down at me with sympathetic eyes.

"I wish I could do something. Do you need one of us to get Hiccup?" I shook my head.

"Hiccup is a walking panic attack at the moment. You go get him, he's gonna think the baby's coming now, so we wait until I'm almost in- ow!"

I bent over and gripped the side of the chair as a far more intense pain struck me. All I could do was take deep breaths and hope that it passed, but once it did, I myself started to panic. I got out of the seat as quickly and looked down, confirming what I'd been worried about.

"Okay, I lied. Let's go."

Without questioning it, Astrid took my hand and led me out of the house, instructing Eret to go and find Hiccup before we went in separate directions.

"We'll get Valka, then go to Gothi's. You're gonna want all the support you can get." I nodded and did my best to keep up, having to pause momentarily to allow a contraction to pass. But we reached Valka's home, and opened the door with great force.

"Val!" I could hear her jump up, and she raced down the stairs, looking at the scene in her doorway as I leaned against Astrid. "We've gotta go." She nodded and followed, helping me up the ladder to Gothi's hut. She seemed to almost be expecting us, as things were pretty well set up for me to have a baby.

The three of them helped me lay down, and Gothi started to prepare other materials as Astrid crouched down beside me.

"You need anything?"

"For this to stop hurting!" She laughed, and I couldn't blame her.

There was clattering up the ladder, and Hiccup quickly rounded the corner with Eret trailing him. He looked frantic and frazzled as he knelt down beside me and took my hand.

"Hi, hey, I'm so sorry I left you. I-I should have just... I mean-"

"Hiccup!" He stopped rambling and looked down at me. "Deep breaths, love. Deep breaths."

"Sorry, sorry." He finally composed himself, and was able to smile. "This is it."

"Yeah, I know." I looked over to Eret. "Go get the others, but don't let them come in yet. There's enough going on right now as it is." He nodded and dashed off again as another wave of pain hit me, this one so intense I couldn't speak.

"Hey, hey, I've got you." I gripped his hand tightly and screamed as Gothi and Val came to check on me.

"Reign?" I looked up at Valka. "You're ready."

"That's a matter of perspective. But I know what you're saying." I looked at Hiccup with a smile as Val ushered Astrid out with her. "It's time."

"You can do this. I believe in you, I love you."

"I love you, too."

"And after this, we'll finally get to hold that little baby, and take care of them, and love them." I nodded and gripped his hand harder.

"Here we go."