Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Wednesday was dull dull DULL! Dull was a good thing in my books. Dull meant no Duncan and his gang. No trips to the office for standing up for myself. No teacher’s picking a fight, no students making nasty remarks. Ian was pretty quiet too, but in a happy way. He kept glancing over at me and smiling in that way he does where he scrunches up his whole face. I called it his silent beam. Mr. Langley wasn’t at school either though; he had a conference in the city. So I was in a bad mood and Ian was in an even better one. Thursday was much the same. Though Mr. Langley was back, I had English first period with a class straight after, which meant I couldn’t stay behind. Mr. Langley’s eyes lingered on me, following me, as I walked from the room, last as always. I didn’t look back at him when I left, playing hard to get. That was the only time during the day I genuinely smiled. Ian didn’t come over today, I was kind of glad for the time alone to myself. It was easier to think that way. I had a plan of action for tomorrow that I was confident with, but I couldn’t get to sleep that night anyway. Then it was Friday. I had never wanted it to not be Friday before in my life, and now I hated it more than a Monday. Hard to believe as that was. The day moved smoothly enough. Every one was quiet. I had already figured out by now why; they sensed my end was coming. They figured I was getting the punishment I deserved for being what I was. I wasn’t going to let them be satisfied though. I was going to live through this, escape somehow. I was prepared to abandon Ian like that because I knew once I was out of the way, they’d hurt him too. I hadn’t spent the last few years protecting him, taking the fall of the fist, for nothing. I had English before lunch today, and my gut slowly churned with anticipation. When I walked through the classroom door Mr. Langley stood tall and proud at the front, writing down today’s work on the board. I went and took my usual seat and waited while everyone else made their way to their own seats. The class began with Mr. Langley explaining how a graph can help you outline an essay. I didn’t get it, so I doodled in my notebook. Mr. Langley was walking down the aisles now, animating his speech with his hands. I was trying hard not to pay attention to him, pretending nothing had changed from a normal teacher and student relationship. Technically it hadn’t, we weren’t dating, we’d just had sex once, but still.

“Angus,” Mr. Langley growled. I jumped and looked up to see him standing over me.

“Yes sir?” I asked slowly.

“Let me see your book,” Mr. Langley said and held out his hand for my notebook. I handed it over and he looked over my drawings.

“Lunchtime detention for not paying attention in class,” he announced as he handed my book over and walked back to the front. He wrote my name on the side of the board where he wrote his detention names. I noted how his hand seemed to flow over my name, pausing at the end. The other students laughed and muttered, thinking I was actually in trouble. I wondered whether I really was. Had Mr. Langley been found out, and now had to compensate for it by punishing me? I tried to shoo that thought away and went back to drawing. The siren went but I didn’t even bother to move. Some of the others grimaced at me as they passed. One of the popular boys, who I’d found quite attractive once, smacked me over the back of the head. I jumped to my feet so fast my chair flew back.

“Got a problem?” he jeered at me.

“Don’t touch me,” I growled.

“What are you going to do about it freak?” he chuckled and stalked out, slamming the door behind him. Now I was alone with the teacher. I sat back down and began to finish the shading on my eagle.

“You should pack up your things,” Mr. Langley spoke softly from the front. Had his tone changed just for me? Or was I seriously in trouble? But I packed my things up anyway, standing and slinging my bag over one shoulder. I walked to the front with deliberately measured steps. Mr. Langley walked around his desk, his hands in his pockets over his shirt so it parted at the front. The last button wasn’t done up and I could see a glimpse of skin that made my breath catch in my throat. I put my bag down on the desk beside me and waited.

“You’re a good sketcher,” he grinned, his honey eyes glowing at me. I blinked with relief, so I was safe. At least until this afternoon. Right then the classroom door burst open and Ian walked in huffing and panting, sweat running down his face.

“There you are,” he sighed, trying to catch his breath.

“Excuse me, I’m running a detention,” Mr. Langley began. Ian wasn’t one to follow rules though, and recognising the teacher as my other lover he stalked forward, grabbed my wrist and bag and dragged me from the room.

“Sorry sir,” he called back, “Urgent business.” I just laughed as I was tugged along.

“Do you really think I am going to sit back and let you get expelled?” Ian growled. He was so cute when he was angry. His eyes kind of screwed up and his ears went red.

“I wont get caught,” I smiled gently at him, wanting to hug him but unable to because we were still on school grounds.

“If you got kicked out, I’d have no reason to come anymore,” he sobbed. I saw the beginning of tears in his eyes.

“Wanna ditch?” I asked him and Ian smiled.