Chapter Twenty Three

I spent all of Sunday in bed and only left to pee or eat. At night I took strong sleeping pills so I could sleep. I woke too early Monday morning, so I got dressed and went for a run. I ran along the beach front with Nirvana and Fat-boy Slim blasting in my ears. Someone grabbed my arm and shook me around. I looked up into the caramel eyes of Andrew Langley.

“Fuck that,” I said under my breath, yanked free and jogged on. He grabbed my again, this time by the waist and forced me up against a tree, pinning me with his hips to stop me from escaping. He ripped my headphones out and his face was consumed with rage.

“Listen to me,” he growled lowly. I froze and waited. “I did what I did to protect you. The school board has been plotting to get you expelled for a while. But they were going to assure you did it so you weren't able to graduate from any other school. I needed to get you out of there. And with all those bullies around, you weren't physically safe either. The mood there has been changing with the press from other parents about banning gays.”

“How can I believe you?” I glared.

“Because Angus, from the moment I started working at that school; when I walked into my first class you were sitting right there, the only one paying attention to me. The other students began to misbehave but you were patient while I was still an amateur. You stayed behind to help me clean the mess they had created and helped carry my things to my car. You were the only thing pure in that school despite what any of those fucking religious pricks said; all that time I've loved you” Andrew stopped speaking but the force from his words still hung in the air. I knew he was telling the truth, I could feel it from his skin and see it in his eyes.

“I turned Duncan down, I turned Ian down,” I muttered, mostly to myself.

“Don't turn me down again Angus, please,” Andrew begged. Without waiting for an answer he kissed me and I kissed him back. I didn't care that we were in public. That anyone could walk past and see us. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him in closer. The touch was exactly what I needed.