9

Jane turns 70 in Midgard and celebrates alone with a trip to the movies. She waits for Thor to visit, as he has promised, and yet he does not come until weeks later, turmoil in Jotunheim his excuse. When he does come for her, they return to Asgard and celebrate together with a private feast. And then he is called to meet with Odin and she is once again alone. She returns to the dungeons and stands outside Loki's cell, uncertain as to whether or not she is welcome to enter. She waits for an acknowledgement, but seeing none from the still figure sitting against the wall, she begins to leave.

"Wait."

"Can I come in?"

"Yes."

The guards let her enter and she walks towards him, but there is no illusion to step into. She sits beside him.

"So am I actually sitting next to you?"

"Yes."

"And are you seeing something different?"

"No. Only you."

"Yeah, but I'm betting you're imagining me 40 years younger."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because most people aren't so keen on spending all their time with little old ladies."

"Is this something you have learnt in Midgard? In our world, elders are esteemed as bearers of a lifetime of wisdom."

"Unless they're Odin?"

"Well that is a circumstance unique to me."

"Look, about last time..."

He reaches out and hesitates before taking her hand, "I am sorry- my anger does not need to be unleashed against you."

"Whoa- since when does Loki apologize for anything?"

"Since now, apparently."

"Thank you." She pauses, then asks the same question she asks every time, "Are you eating any better?"

"No."

"This isn't what you really look like, is it?"

"What do you mean?" He is still holding her hand.

She can feel something isn't quite right- that her eyes are seeing something different than what she is touching, "You're keeping me from seeing just how rough you look. And don't you lie to me, I know it's true. When you were having a hard time last time, it flickered and I saw you without the fancy getup."

He sighs, "It is true."

"And you're not going to show me what you really look like, are you?"

"Not when they can see." He nods towards the guards.

"Then make it so they can't." He stands and walks towards the cot, leading her, and as she rises, she sees herself still sitting beside the wall next to him, "Well that's super creepy."

He sighs and turns back to her as he sits down, "And now you see me."

She manages to stop from gasping, but she can't help her expression, "Oh, Loki...you look so sick." And even that is an understatement. She sits beside him, the stench of unwashed body strong enough to make her reconsider her decision. But the whole cell smells and she knows that she will have to endure it if she wants to be with him.

"I am sorry that this distresses you." He replaces his illusion.

"No."

"But you are upset. Would it not be better for your heart if you could trick the mind into knowing that I was fine?"