5

Thor and Jane take lunch together and after, he takes her for a walk in the gardens. She can't help but think about Loki's insistence that he is always here. She asks which section is the queen's garden and Thor takes her to an alcove enclosed by climbing roses, bordered by shrubby mints and herbs she does not recognize. There are a few small benches around an elegant stone table in the centre. They sit and she closes her eyes, breathing deep. Even if he is lying, she can understand why this place would be something special.

"What are you thinking, Miss Foster?"

"Every time I visit the dungeons, he tells me this is where he is."

"Ah. You wish to darken the mood of this bright day by speaking of Loki."

"I don't consider it darkening. He still exists. You can't just wish him away. And it's nice to think he's at least dreaming of somewhere pretty and pleasant."

"If he is telling you the truth."

"Even if he isn't, this is what he wants me to believe. Which would mean he's being protective from something unpleasant, which is kind of sweet."

"You continually see the best in him, dear Jane. It is commendable."

"Can I visit him?"

"You do already."

"You know what I mean. In his cell. He's not going to hurt me."

"You trust him far more than is wise."

"I also have a taser. And I know they work on you guys."

"Ah yes, your friend."

"Yep. Good ol' Darcy. I miss her."

"She died far too young."

"That she did. Not that we live very long anyway, but cancer's a bitch."

"The ailment that took her?"

"Yeah."

He cannot think of anything else to say, so he takes her hands and watches her as she takes in the garden.

"You will persist in this wish to see him until I relent, will you not?"

"Of course. He's your brother. He at least deserves a chance to prove he can be trusted with something like a visit."

"He deserves nothing at all for what he has done. But I understand your wish."

"Family's important. Especially when you don't really have another one."

"I will allow this. But you will be heavily guarded. And if you do not leave at the end of a prescribed time, they will storm the cell to rescue you."

"Cool, but I want the chance to earn unsupervised visitation."

"Perhaps. We will see."

Jane springs from her seat and hugs him, "Thank you."