1

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams

his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream

his wings are clipped and his feet are tied

so he opens his throat to sing.

"Caged Bird", excerpt, Maya Angelou

Jane is, as always, a bit uncomfortable in Asgard. Thor has brought her for a visit- a meeting of scientific minds, some new questions for Asgard's brightest from one of Midgard's. But he has been urgently called away to business, a matter of the security of the realm, Fandral said upon delivering the message. She is alone. Again. This happens at least once every visit and she is getting tired of it. Usually, the incidents are not as serious as they are made out to be. And once, his friends just wanted him without her. She pretended not to mind, but told Thor later to just be honest. But once she was back home, she had cried into her pillow and swore at every one of them for treating her like the kid sister because of her realm of origin and stupidly short lifespan.

She waits for him in the rooms he has prepared for her. They are nice, but there is so much she wants to see, to explore, that he has not had the time to show her.

She is lost in thought, her headphones on, a movie playing on her iPod, when Thor bursts in the room, startling her. She rips off the her headphones and pauses her video.

"Jane. There has been a great change. I must take you back to Midgard."

"What? But I haven't even had the chance to meet with your sciencey people!"

"This is a matter of urgency. They will forgive your absence."

"No! We worked too hard to set this up! My research team is waiting-"

"Loki is alive."

She stops, "What?"

"He has been impersonating Father on the throne. Father has returned unharmed. He will not tell me where he was trapped- in another realm, perhaps. Loki has been dragged to the dungeon."

"My god, Thor...is he...I mean, are you going to go see him?"

"No. He is no longer my brother."

"Bullshit."

"What?"

"Exactly what I said. That's bullshit. You've talked about him every time we've come here for the past five years since he died...or we thought he died. This 'he's not my brother anymore' crap is just...stupid and getting really old. You love him just as much as you always have, even if you don't trust him at all."

"Jane...please."

"No. You can lie to everyone else, but you're not going to lie to me."

He bows his head, "You may be right, but I need time to think. And Father has insisted that I talk to him tonight about coronation. But he has also insisted that I leave Midgard behind and focus entirely on this world. He is convinced that my distraction is what has led us to this. Had I been here and not worried about Midgard, I would not have a brother in the dungeons."

"Also bullshit."

"I do not deny this."

"Kinda seem to remember coronation and a jealous brother started everything."

"Yes, that it did."

"And a dad who had some problems with picking favourites."

"Mother did her best to dote on Loki."

"And you damn well know that's not the same. Sometimes you act like he's the sun itself. And I heard you boys fighting about who Mom liked best on the way into Svartalfheim. You kids have some serious issues."

"Well on that I have no doubt you are right."

"So Loki's why you need me to go?"

"Yes. Especially if he chooses execution. You do not need to be here for that."

"Pretty sure that if he kills your brother, you're going to need me even more."

"He says it would be too damaging for you to be here."

"That's the worst excuse ever. I'm staying. You can tell your father to stuff it."

He laughs, "Somehow I think he would not take kindly to being told such."

"Nope. But you're going to actually stand up for me for once. I know I'm the butt of your buddies' jokes. I know they don't like me, I know the Avengers don't give a damn about me. I'm just Thor's geeky girlfriend no matter where I am. PhDs be damned. And to your dad...anybody from Asgard would be better than me. And I need to feel like I'm not."

They have had this conversation before and he has always skilfully sidestepped the matter. But this time, it hits a little harder and he kisses her in response. She cuddles against his chest.

That evening, Odin sends for him, "Thor. It is time you take on this crown and lead this realm with strength and wisdom. I once intended for your brother to stand beside you, an advisor to the king, but now you are on your own. There is nothing left of the boy I once knew."

"I understand, Father."

"And you ought to choose a queen."

"I have."

"Oh?"

"But you would not allow her to take the throne beside me."

"Jane Foster."

"Yes."

"Is she still here?"

"Yes. She is supposed to meet with our scientists on a matter her research team has uncovered. She will not return empty handed."

"You will send her back as soon as possible so that we can move forward with this coronation. You must leave her behind, Thor- Asgard must be first and foremost in your heart."

"Then perhaps I cannot take the throne."

Odin gapes for a moment, "What is this foolishness?"

"Father, I have chosen someone to stand beside me. Her life will be short compared to ours, yes, but she is my beloved. And so long as she is unwelcome in Asgard, I will not take the throne."

"Then so be it, Asgard will fall for this ridiculous whim if I cannot outlive her."

"Asgard will not fall. You will appoint a steward and I will return to take the throne. But I am not going to leave Jane."

"Then you will not be king."

"Then there is no reason for us to continue this conversation." Thor leaves.

He returns to Jane and tells her what has happened. She is at a loss for what to say. But she knows exactly how much Thor values her and she is incredibly honoured by his dedication.

She stays in Asgard for the better part of the month, exploring the questions her research team sent with her. By the time she leaves, Thor has still not again spoken to Odin, and he has no plans to.