Chapter 8: Nightmares and Training

Start from the beginning

Sighing, I looking at the clock. 12:09. "Night," I mumble and go back to sleep.

***

"Have you ever shot a gun?" Dean asks me.

The pistol feels heavy and awkward in my hand. I try to come off as confident, but in reality, I'm scared out of my wits to shoot this thing. "Uh," I say, my voice shaking slightly. "No." I give a nervous laugh and Dean gives me a reassuring look.

"It's not that hard," he says. "Just focus on your target and make sure that you're holding the gun right." I nod and look over the cans lined up on the fence. "Take your time and fire whenever you're ready," Dean says. "Make sure to breathe out when you pull the trigger."

I hold the gun like he told me to. I like the gun up with my target. Taking a couple deep breaths, I pull the trigger. The drawback pushes me back and I fall over, the gun nearly hitting me in the face. "Shit," I say.

Dean laughs and helps me up. "That's okay. You just need to make sure you are placed firmly on the ground."

I nod and stand back up, my legs shaking. "Okay. I think I got it this time."

He nods back and I raise the gun again. This time when I pull the trigger, I make sure to keep my stance. I miss my target, but at least, this time, I'm not pushed back.

"Good job," Dean says. "We're off to a good start. Let's try a couple more times." After about ten minutes of shooting the pistol, we move onto the shotgun. I find that a lot easier to shoot and I actually hit one of the cans.

As I'm celebrating my one hit, Michael comes out. He laughs at my enthusiasm. "I'm guessing it's going well?"

I grin. "I'm basically a pro already." He laughs and high fives me. "What's up?"

"Just thought I would come see how it was coming along," he says. "Also, Bobby wants you inside, Dean. Says he got something for you and Sam to take a look at."

Dean nods. "We can practice a little bit later." I smile as he goes inside.

"So," Michael says, his hands in his pockets. "By the sounds of it, Bobby has a case for Sam and Dean."

"Sounds like it," I say with a nervous laugh. "You think they'll take me with."

Michael looks over at the cans, only one of them missing. "Maybe. If they do, they probably won't let you in on any of the action, though."

"Okay, good," I say. "Because I am so not ready."

"If you do go, though, I'm not coming with," he says.

"What? Why not?" I ask, my heart starting to speed up.

Michael sighs. "I've got to hit the road again. I haven't done anything for almost two weeks and I think I got this lead for a shapeshifter out in Tulsa."

"So you're leaving whether I stay or not?" I say, not trying to hide my disappointment.

He nods. "Yeah... I'm sorry, Em."

I shake my head. "No. Don't be sorry. You're a hunter. It's your job. I understand."

I push passed him and run to my room. "Emma," he says as I pass him, but I ignore him. Once in my room, I shut the door and lean up against it with a sigh. 

A few minutes later, there's a knock at my door. I open it thinking it was Michael. Instead, it was Sam. "Hey," he says. "Can I come in? I got some things I want to discuss with you."

"Yeah," I say, opening the door. He comes in a sits on the bed and I sit next to him.

"Dean and I are headed out to Golden, Colorado. Bobby's got a lead on a Woman in White. Dean and I were wondering if you wanted to come with?"

I swallow, my palms wet with sweat. "Will I have to kill anything?"

Sam laughs. "No. Of course not. We'll just have you talk to the locals. That kind of thing. We won't take you on the actual hunt."

I nod. "Okay," I say. "I'll come then."

He smiles. "Great. I'll let Dean know. Pack up. We leave in three hours."

I nod and he leaves. I pull out my duffel bag from under my bed and throw my clothes in it. I grab my mom's journal and tuck it into my leather jackets pocket. I make sure to grab my tampons for just in case. When I'm done, I lay down and pull my mother's book out of my pocket.

"Emma is five today. I feel bad that we have to pack up again, but those damn vampires found us again. It seems like no matter what I do, they find us. I tried calling Mom and Dad, hoping they could help me, but they changed their numbers.

"I don't know what to do anymore. All I want is to keep my little girl safe. Oh, how I wish Dean was here. He would be able to keep her safe. I saw him the other day at a diner. I don't think he recognized me, though. He smiled back when I smiled, but then his eyes had moved on.

"I had the opportunity, right there, to introduce him to his daughter. But the fact that he didn't recognize me was like a slap to the face. I paid the bill as quickly as I could and the left with Emma. I should have jumped my chance. But instead, I ran. Who knows if an opportunity like that will ever come to me again."

Tears stream down my cheeks. I could have met my father that day, but instead, she ran. I understand why she did, but if she had just had the courage, I could have known my father. I could have grown up, not wondering why my father was never around and that I had never met him. So much hurt and wondering wouldn't have even existed. The kids at school would have never made fun of me for not having my daddy around. I would have saved myself a world of embarrassment every time someone found out that he wasn't actually dead, but not around. My life would have been so much easier.

A knock comes to my door. "One second," I say, wiping my cheeks. I open the door and see Michael.

"So, you decided to go?" He asks.

I nod. "Yeah. I figured I should. Get out of the house."

He looks down. "I don't know when we'll see each other again."

I swallow, tears brimming my eyes. "I understand. But I'm sure we'll run into each other again at some point."

He laughs. "There's one thing I want to do before you take off, though."

"Yes?" I ask. Next thing I know, his lips are on mine. I slide my hands up his chest, my chest filling with air as excitement courses through my veins. He wraps his arms around me and pulls me closer. I stand on my toes so that I can wrap my arms around his neck.

He's the first one to break the kiss. "I'll miss you," he says.

"Me too," I say and he walks away. Sighing, I grab my bag and head downstairs.

"Feel free to stop by whenever you like," Bobby is saying to Micahel. "My door is always open to hunters."

He nods and smiles. Shaking Bobby's hand, he says, "Thank you, sir. I'll keep that in mind." He then turns to Sam and Dean. "It was nice meeting you guys."

He shakes both of their hands. "We look forward to seeing you gain," Sam says. Turning to me, he says, "You ready?"

I look down at my duffel bag. "Yeah, I think so."

Dean claps his hands together. "Great. Let's going then." We walk outside and hop into the backseat of the impala. Dean starts the engine and soon we are on the road.

After a couple minutes of driving, Dean says, "Alright. Who wants pie?" I laugh. This is going to be fun.