Prologue

I was grinning, it was Christmas Day and I had just opened the best present yet, a new sword. My Dad was going to teach me, he said it would come in handy as you never know what might happen. The news was on the TV set, the cast were wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. Suddenly, it switched over automatically and set out a warning. Telling us we should all stay in our homes, that there is an infection that is catching and anyone can catch it. I looked at my Dad and he looked back at me, I looked towards Ethan (my brother) who was leaning against the door frame eyebrow raised. He caught me looking at him, his expression blank.

'Sam it's nothing to worry about, it's just a warning.' He said plainly, Dad opened his mouth to speak before closing it again, he looked at me and gave me a smile. How could they be so calm about the fact that we have just been told to stay inside and not go out because of an infection going around the city?

'Sweetheart, Ethan is right. It's just a warning, why don't we just try to take our minds off this by helping me set up the table for the dinner, eh? Ethan you can start by stuffing the turkey,' Dad bossed me and Ethan around even though we were old enough, Ethan was 28 and I was 26 even though I did look a little small for my age. I smiled back at Dad and glared at Ethan, he glared back. He stalked off to the kitchen where the turkey was waiting to be stuffed.

'Dad, how bad do you think this infection could get?' I asked worried, I didn't want my Dad catching it. Nor did I want Ethan to catch it no matter how much I hate him, come to think of it, I didn't want to catch it either! We haven't been told how bad the infection is, life threatening or just a bit like a cold.

He ignored my question and followed Ethan to the kitchen, I sat in the living room looking at the sword which was sat on my lap like a new puppy. I put it back in it's case before setting it down by the Christmas Tree. I looked at all the presents me and Ethan had got off our family, Aunts and Uncles, then I looked at the presents Dad got us and I started to wonder where he had got the money from to buy all this stuff. We haven't been the wealthiest family, we have always been a bit low on money. Ever since my Mum died everything has been different, Dad tries to act normal, like nothing has happened but he fails. As I'm going to bed at night I see him sitting on the edge of his bed looking at his wedding photo and he just starts to cry. Me and Ethan haven't moved out yet considering it hasn't been long since Mum died, we talked it through and said it was too early to leave Dad, you never know how he might be feeling inside. What he might do when we weren't here to keep him company in the big house at night. I looked at the presents again and noticed one that hadn't been opened, I looked at the tag and noticed it was for Mum, from Dad. He must of put it out under the tree when he brought the rest of the presents down.

I heard footsteps coming through to the living room and I stuffed the present back where it was and I turned around, it was only Ethan. He stood for a moment and he looked at me, like he was searching me for any evidence that I had done something bad.

'What are you doing?' He asked me sternly, still glaring at me.

'Oh nothing, just looking at the presents. Cheer up it's Christmas.' I said brightly, giving him a big smile. He looked at me and scoffed, ignoring my statement. Ethan took it worse than Dad did when Mum died. He had always been a 'Mummy's Boy' and he blames himself for not being there in her final moments at the hospital. He was too busy taking drugs with his crew, he has stopped now, says it reminds him of the night Mum died, when he wasn't where he should've been. With us.

I looked back at the TV set for it still to be flashing with the warning sign. I sighed and walked to the kitchen and after a while I forgot all about the fact that there was an infection and I enjoyed Christmas Day. But the months to follow I certainly didn't enjoy...

Hey guys! So this is my first book and I hope I keep at it! I was listening to the song Fast Car earlier on and it reminded me of The Walking Dead as Daryl's motorbike and his life and stuff. I don't know it just reminded me of him and the program! I've currently been obsessed with reading some Daryl Dixon Fanfiction's. I think them cute because in the stories Daryl actually shows emotion after a while, unlike the program where he hardly shows any.

ANYWAY, I hope you guys enjoy reading the book because I certainly hope to keep writing it! Enjoy! Bye! I will update soon. :]