Stick

Foggy was getting weaker his head felt like a ton weight on his shoulders.  He kept shivering and his teeth were chattering.  He tried to focus his eyes but everything was a bit blurry it made him feel a bit sick.  His shoulder blonde hair looked dirty and unwashed.  They had finally given him something to eat and some water but his stomach just cramped and he didn't finish it.  He just wanted to sleep but he tried to remember something he had heard in a film about not giving up and giving into the darkness.  He didn't know if he was awake or dreaming but he thought he heard the ping of an elevator door.  He raised his head blinking a few times.  The men from earlier in the week, day, he wasn't sure walked into the room.  He prayed that if they were coming to kill him could they do it quickly and put him out of his own misery.

"He doesn't look well Tony" Mike said as the two men entered the room.  "This wasn't what we agreed on"

"Mike have you grown a conscience since we left you"

"I never signed up for this.  You said we frighten the lawyers.  Get the money and job over.  Look at him, this isn't what I agreed to" he repeated

"He doesn't look well Tony" Frankie confirmed

"He'll be fine.  Frankie remove those bonds around his arms and legs.  It's not like he's got the strength to go anywhere" Tony replied

Frankie grabbed the scissors and Foggy tried to lean back in the chair.

"Stop moving, I'm here to cut these off not to cut you.  Stop fidgeting.  Can you hear me?"

Foggy nodded and when his arms were free he rubbed his sore wrists making sure everything worked.  He took the water Frankie offered him.  He drank small sips it felt and tasted good.  He coughed again and found his voice.

"Thanks" he whispered

Frankie placed the water back down beside him and walked over to Tony.

"He's burning up over there Tony.  If he dies?"

"Mikey he'll be fine.  Get him a wet cloth and cool him down" Tony said and turned to Foggy.  "Are you up to talking.  Nelson can you hear me?"

"I'm not deaf.  I feel like shit but I can hear you"

"See Mikey, he's fine.  Nothing to worry about"

"How well do you know your friend Matt?" Frankie started

"Matt" he paused trying think.  "We were in college together we shared a dorm together.  We now work together.  Why do you want to know that?"

"You are close though, are you not?  Would you do anything for him?"

Foggy didn't know where this was going.

"I don't know what you are implying here, we shared a dorm together in college nothing more and now we work together but you know that part.  Why do you want to know about Matt? Leave him out of this.  He's my best friend.  Why are we talking about him?"

"You're very protective of Mr. Murdock.  How far does that go?"

"Now Frankie, you are upsetting our guest" Tony entered the conversation.

"Is he even blind?" Frankie ignored Tony

"Of course he is.  He has been since he was nine years old.  I don't know what you are getting at" Foggy tried to sound casual.  "I told you to leave Matt out of this.  He's probably dead already, isn't that why you are here?"

"Oh he's alive alright" Tony replied.  "He's a bit worse for wear but he's alive.  We changed our minds didn't we Frankie"

"Changed your minds what does that mean?"