chapter thirteen

I wake up to faint snores next to me, I look over to see Luke's peaceful face. His five-o-clock shadow is showing and his mouth is slightly parted. His lips are slightly pinkish-pale, they look so delicious. I could just kiss them and bite them all day long, but then I remember.

He's my new dad.

I can't be having these fantasies or ideas of "us" anymore. That doesn't exist now that he's married to my mum and "in love" with her.

Why am I even here, lying next to him and desiring him? I should be in my own bed not thinking twice about him.

Oh, but wait, I had a nightmare last night and he offered to make me more comfortable by letting me sleep next to him.

That's right.

Only thing is, I'm sure Luke though I was lying about the nightmare. If only I was.

My father's death was nothing easy. I watched him take his last breath as I screamed for him and the help that never seemed to arrive.

It was late one night,

"daddy, I'm sleepy."

"Come here sweetheart." He gently scoops my 9 year old body up into his arms.

"Did you enjoy the film?" he asks

"Yes!"

Then the fatal sound.

Blood dripped from my clothes and head. I couldn't tell what belonged to me or the body next to mine.

"Daddy??"

Faint wheezes come from the man next to me.

"Daddy it hurts." I hold my head and a place on my leg.

"Jewel.."

Screams and cries erupt from my little body. People rushed to our aid, but what could they have done?

"Yes, a man and his little girl have been shot!!!!" a woman above me screams.

"Don't move, honey." A man beside me says in a soothing voice.

Salty tears flood down my face as I look over to see my father's chest rise and fall one last time. Leaving me alone in this cruel, cold world.

Until this day, I don't know who caused the man I loved the most to leave me. I don't know who left me with a scar on my leg to remind me of the events of that night.

I don't know who took my father away from me, but whoever it was can burn in hell.

"Are you okay?" I hear Luke's husky morning voice.

"Fine, just thinking."

He falls silent as I do, not exchanging another word for the rest of the morning.