Chapter 4 - The Land Army

Wesley Scott and Archie Knight sat behind the old mahogany desk and listened patiently whilst I discussed taking mother's role as head of house with Harry by my side.

"Well, Miss Gray," started Mr Scott, rubbing his round spectacles with a tissue, "I think it's splendid you want to get your affairs in order but might I make a suggestion?"

"Of course." I nodded.

"Your home and its acreage spreads wide and vastly, yet, whilst your mother has been head of the estate, only the Gray family have ate its crops or veg. You also have a cattle that you milk for your own dairy." He sighed, "I made this suggestion to your mother as well but she shot me down. Which I find surprising especially since your father and most other men in your family have been so involved in the war effort."

"What was your suggestion, Mr Scott?" Harry asked.

"The Land Army. It's getting harder and harder to import food from abroad nowadays. You have a farm, Miss Gray. If you used the land for which it was intended you would be contributing to the effort as well. Not to mention it would be good for the community too. A lot of folks round here are looking for jobs and this would be a good opportunity for them as well as you."

"And you're outhouse at the far end of the estate, it's lying empty isn't it?" asked Mr Knight, eyeing me with his penetrating beetle black eyes.

"That is correct."

"You could rent it out. Frankly, the hospices in this area are overrun. Now I'm not saying it would be good as a hospice but for those recuperating before returning to the field or home would be glad to sleep in a bed there for a night or two."

"And that's another thing," Mr Scott pointed at Mr Knight, "you have multiple smaller buildings on your property which could be hired out by those who have lost their homes in the air raids."

"What do you think?" I asked Harry.

"I think it's a good idea, Rosa. But it's your home, not mine."

"I think my Dad would have wanted this."

"Mr Gray had mentioned this to your mother, apparently, before he went to war." Noted Mr Knight. "He told me in confidence when he was writing his will."

"I gather she refused?"

"No but she didn't exactly agree either."

"So what do I do now? I guess I have some paperwork to fill out or... I have no idea how to run a farm."

"Why don't you leave the paperwork up to us?" suggested Mr Scott. "There might be some stuff for you to sign but let's get everything else up to speed first."

"If you want help running a farm Mr Ramage would be glad to help."

"John Ramage?" asked Harry. "I thought he was in the army."

"His son is but John had suffered from pneumonia and was deemed unfit to battle the Nazis."

"His farm is also contributing to the war effort." Mr Scott added. "He's got women pouring in from all over to plough the fields and such. He knows what he's doing, you'll be in good hands with him."

"Thank you for your council, Mr Scott and Mr Knight. I think I'll head over to the Ramage Farm just now."

Harry stayed with me all day but when he thought I wasn't looking I could see the pain painted clearly on him. He wore his grief like a weight the way he slumped his shoulders and dragged his feet when he walked. Neither was he accustomed to spending quite so much time with me.