(8) Wedding Preparation

Tedros looked across the bed at sleeping Agatha, the rise and fall of her chest and the soft sound of her breathing creating a steady beat. She looked so peaceful, with her charcoal hair fanned out on the pillow.
    He put his arm around her, waking his Sleeping Beauty from her slumber.
    Agatha grunted in annoyance and lazily put a finger to his lips, immediately falling back asleep again.

    "Queen Agatha, for heaven's sake, it's your wedding day! You should have been up hours ago!"
    Agatha opened her eyes blearily to see a plump servant-women standing impatiently in front of her bed, Tedros nowhere to be seen.
    "Finally! Oh, and by the way, sweetie, I'm Suzy," the woman said as she blew a stray hair out of her scarlet face. "Now, up you get, you have to be ready for your big day!"
    She roughly grabbed Agatha by the arms and dragged her into the en-suite, where a duo of pale, willowy girls began powdering, blushing, contouring, concealing, glossing and shadowing for all their worth.
    Once the makeup artists had done what they could, Suzy shooed them away and studied Agatha.
    After what seemed like an eternity, she finally announced it perfect and spun the Queen around to face a mirror.
    Agatha stared in wonder. Her pale skin glowed healthily, her cheeks a natural pink as if constantly blushing, her lips rose red, the lids of her brown eyes shimmering. For once, she felt pretty.

Tedros pulled on his black trousers and white shirt, still slightly shaken from the news that Beatrix would be at the wedding that day. He shrugged it off and pulled on a black suit and black bow-tie.
    Tedros cocked a grin, feeling like himself again. He slipped into some polished leather shoes and raked a hand through his golden curls, setting his crown on them gently.
    He checked himself in the mirror. "Looking good."

Agatha slipped into her wedding gown and fastened her veil to her diadem. She stepped back into the en-suite where the Suzy was waiting, hoping and praying she'd get a good reaction.
    "Sweetie, you look.... amazing." Suzy smiled, tearing up a bit just looking at her.
    Agatha beamed back, hoping Tedros would agree.

After getting suited, Tedros headed downstairs to check on the preparations.
    He heard a familiar melodramatic gasp and turned to see Sophie in a white, pink and black floral dress, looking as if she was going to explode.
    "Teddy, my sister is going to full out swoon when she sees you!"
    The prince smiled just thinking about Agatha, but he soon remembered something. "Umm.... Sophie, you know you were supposed to come in a bridesmaid dress? I think it was blue."
    Sophie scoffed. "As if. Darling, have you ever seen me in blue? No, and I refuse to wear it today!"

Tedros rolled his eyes and moved on, suddenly spotting the huge wedding cake being brought out of the kitchens and into the grand dining room.
    He marveled at it, soon causing a baker to hurry up to him, explaining the cake's various flavours, sizes and icing until his mouth was watering.
    "Here Your Highness, have a taste of the banana flavour and see what you think!" The baker winked and got back to hefting it away.
    Tedros popped the sample in his mouth with a sigh of pleasure. It melted on his tongue, and all the nerves and jitters he had been holding in about the wedding disappeared.
    Now all he had to do was get married. It'd be a piece of cake.