Apocalypse's Horsemen [4]

Začít od začátku

Breaking from his trance, the cerulean coloured man threw his hands up to the sky. The lights in the sky caused the objects in his hands to twinkle and glisten. I sucked in a sharp breath when I noted that one of them was a particularly deadly looking blade. My eyes flicked to his other hand which surprisingly held a golden chalice. For some reason, as I looked at the two objects, I could not comprehend how they had any relation to each other and why the man, who was obviously leading this huge devotional, continue to brandish them above his head like they were pretty little toys.

What the-?

I did not get to finish the thought as the cup was placed in the centre of the stone table, right before blue man. He continued to jig side to side despite his large girth, looking strangely graceful as he whirled to the beats of the music.

The drum beat, which had been soft and gentle suddenly picked up tempo. The man whirled and hopped across the platform, his blade cutting through the air a second before his body followed. And yet despite the rapid and carefree movements, not once did he knock into dais or more importantly the golden chalice.

He stopped suddenly and threw his hands up to the air. A hush fell over the crowd and everyone looked up at the lone figure with expectation.

“Today we pledge our lifeblood and offer it to the higher powers. We offer our precious gift out of love, respect and reverence.  I offer my own as first sacrifice.” The voice was soothing and enchanting.

Every person around me drew in a deep breath and leaned eagerly towards the dais. I too pressed closer even as realisation set in. In a smooth gleaming arc the blade swung downwards, its jewelled hilt glinted before it slid smoothly through the blue skin of his arm. There was no cry of pain just a shout of pure joyous fulfilment. Blood pooled in the gaping wound on his outstretched arm, a strange pale blue liquid seeping out before dripping down into the waiting cup.

Each drop sounded loudly, a metallic ting vibrating through the air with a powerful energy that made the hair at the back of my neck stand on end. And yet I continued to sway, my entire body held in complete control of the strange ceremony that was unfolding just a few feet away despite how much it grossed me out.

Without any directions being given, one by one people of all shapes, sizes and colours filed up towards the chalice and donated several drops of their blood after being sliced by the lethal looking blade before walking across the square. On the other side, with contentment oozing from every pore, each donor was offered a metal goblet before they disappeared back into the throngs of revellers once more.

I couldn’t even stop my own feet from pulling me towards the stairs up, waiting patiently for my turn to partake in this even, let a few drops of my blood contribute. I placed my booted foot on the stairs and prepared to follow the willowy figures upwards when a hand wrapped around my arm.

Shooting a glare over my shoulder, I opened my mouth to shout only to pause. Phil, even in his weakened state tightened his grip on my arm and pulled me backwards. The crowd neither noticed nor cared as he drew me away. I let him and yet on the inside I felt bereft. He was taking away my opportunity to feel the bliss and contentment each of them had so far.

“You cannot give your lifeblood. You are no longer human or merely supernatural. You are part angel, pare demon and part human. Such a combination is too volatile for this kind of ceremony. It would probably cause more harm than good.”

I nodded dumbly and stood at the side, watching the rest of the proceeding with longing in my heart and strangely enough relief. I had gained enough cuts and bruises in the last few years and I didn’t want to add any more marks to my skin even if it was for a good cause. It was that small bit of self-preservation that was clinging on for dear life in my not so human body. I had never been a brave person before all of this, but since being emerged in this world of strange creatures I have had no choice. There was always a fight or a battle to be had.

“It is drawing to a close now. This is where the real magic is.”

I jumped and spun to face Lucius. I grinned at him taking his hand in mine and squeezing it tightly before turning my attention back to the centre of the square. 

The blue man stood in the centre of the platform once more with the chalice cupped carefully between his two hands.

“We offer our life blood to the gods and ask for their protection in the dark times.” The smooth voice was woven with power as it echoed over the space.

There was obviously more magic at play here than even I knew about as the big bulky form proved to be a commanding figure, drawing every eye in the city square. I was unable to look away even as my stomach rebelled while he lazily swirled his fingertips in the full chalice.

“We anoint the ground.” He lifted his fingers from the chalice from the goblet, lifting his hand above his head so the thick blood trailed slowly across his skin. The eyes which I had not even noticed before were white and unseeing as they swept over the crowds. With a swift jerk, the blue man flicked his hand sending the bloody concoction flying through the air in every direction.

 “We bless the offering with fire.”

As if commanded to be, the contents of the chalice ignited. I sucked in a sharp breath as the flames stretched up higher than any natural fire. The sparks and embers floated upwards on the breeze and joined the dancing lights of the Aurora borealis. Not waiting for the contents to burn themselves out, the blue man tipped the golden cup and spilt the content in a circle around him. He was barely visible within the wall of flames. The one thing I could was the pure joy etched upon his sightless features as he held his arms out to the sides and the flames licked at his hood.

Remarkably he did not burn and with a cry of delight, as if his prayers had been answered, the writhing lights above stilled. The little bubble around the city, which kept them hidden from humans and safe from the elements, wavered for a second.

There was a loud clap as lightning arced through the sky and penetrated the earth somewhere in the distance. Then the sky lit up with golden lights and warmth, a tender caress of promise, brushed against our skin.

I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply; enjoying the scents of freshly bloomed flowers that enveloped me. Peace. It was so strange to feel it. In that moment it was clear to me that I had never truly felt it before. What glimpses of contentment I had felt had been so brief and fleeting that I had never had the time to just sit and bask in the feeling.

Within moments a loud cheer erupted in the square, becoming louder and louder until it was just a cacophony of jubilant shouts. I smiled and then I started to laugh, the infectious din around me filling me up until all I could do was dance and cheer along with them too.

I glanced over at Lucius and felt my cheers become louder. He was trying to resist the call so his body twitched and his foot tapped while his jaw clenched in defiance.

“Come of Lucius, enjoy yourself.” I called, allowing a hand to wrap around mine and pull me into a huge circle of merry people. “It may be the last time we can!”

The blue eyed stare met mine and for just a second I thought he was going to say nom that he was going to march right up to me and drag me away from the most freedom I had felt in years and back to the world of fighting and misery. And then the moment passed and with a boyish grin on his lips, one that I had come to love, the tall and beautiful man let go of his inhibitions and his worries.

We partied until long after the lights above disappeared –long after tiredness had seeped into our bones. It was only when our eyes refused to stay open that we retreated back to Phil’s house, at ease and relaxed for the first time in long time. If only it would have lasted.