They chuckled. "We kind of got that, Nate," Jake said. "The bastard's brother killed your sister."

I shook my head. "Not just because of my sister," I said.

"Next thing you know, he's going to say he's in love," Dave joked.

They all chuckled. I didn't.

"Shit, Matthews. You're in love with girl," Allan accused.

I grinned. "I am. She's amazing. In such a short amount of time, I've gotten to know Lia, and she's the strongest, kindest, and despite her efforts to kill this part of her, she's still the most loving person I know."

"Does she know how you feel?" Jake asked.

I shook my head. "No. If I tell her now, she's going to run for the hills," I said. "She's not ready to hear that yet. Besides, now is not the right time. We need to prepare her. Train her..." I tailed off when a piercing scream sounded around the house.

"Shit!" I cursed. Lia!

Lia

3 years ago

"So this is her?" A man standing beside Miguel said.

Miguel nodded proudly.

"Say hi, love," Miguel said.

"Hi," I said.

The man smirked. "Bring her in," he ordered. 

I looked over and two men came into the room dragging a girl with them.

"She's yours to order around, love. Whatever you need, you come to her. She'll do anything you ask of her," Miguel said.

I looked over to the girl and knew that she was high on drugs.

Damn you all! I wanted to scream at them. This girl couldn't be much older than me. In fact, we might just be the same age.

"What do you say, love?" Miguel asked. "Aren't you going to say thank you to my brother?"

"Thank you," I said.

Miguel smiled.

"I've got another gift for you," Miguel's brother said.

He handed me a box.

I hesitated.

"Take it, love!" Miguel barked, causing me to jump.

I immediately took the box.

"Open it!"

I opened it, and I let out a piercing scream, before doubling over and puking my guts out.

Miguel and his brother, and everyone around me laughed.

It was a finger with a heart shaped ring on it.

This sick bastard cut off someone's finger and gave it to me.