Two ~ The Manhattan Manslaughters

She was in a lush green garden. Surrounded by flowers in full bloom and the scent of fresh, ripe, apples in the crisp, spring air. The sun shone through the branches, warming her cheeks. She sighed in content. Opening her eyes, she spotted something vibrant weaving through the bushes.

Leaping and hopping, the grass tickling her ankles, she chased the beautiful purple butterfly as it proceeded to fly in circles around her. She giggled, as she clapped her hands in delight, the little thing liked her! She reached out her hand and the beautiful butterfly rested upon her pinky.

Just as she was about to touch it, a soft, feminine voice called out to her.

She turned around, with a wide smile on her face, to show-

"Rosalind!"

My eyes flew open. Bright, yellow light assaulted my vision, causing my eyes to flicker in discomfort. As they finally focused, I noticed Serena's face looming over me with worried sea green eyes as she patted me repeatedly on the cheek.

Groaning in annoyance, I swatted her hand away and sat up.

"I'm awake, I'm awake, sheesh! No need to scream like a banshee." I protested as I rubbed my stinging cheeks.

Sighing in relief, Serena grabbed my shoulders and hugged me tight to her chest. Muttering unintelligible words under her breath for a couple of seconds.

"I thought something horrible happened to you! Do you have any idea how fucking worried I was?" She rushed in one breath as she rubbed my head.

To say I was surprised was an understatement. Serena was not a hugger. At all. Period.

The girl jumped five feet in the air if anyone touched her without warning. She was the awkward shoulder- patter when someone needed consoling and only hugged when her life absolutely depended on it and even then very awkwardly.

So yes, I was in shock from such a genuine gesture of affection. For a second or two I didn't know what to do, but then wrapped my arms around her torso and hugged her back.

Through Serena's arms, I heard Tori clear her throat.

"Oh right! Sorry about that, Rosa."

She finally released me with a sheepish grin and patted my shoulder awkwardly.

Oh, well, everything good must end. I slowly turned my head towards Tori, standing behind the sofa.

Just as I was about to tell her I was all right, I noticed her expression. With eyebrows set in a frown and lips pressed in a thin line, she had her arms crossed in front of her. I noticed she was tapping one of her feet, judging by the constant, annoying, tapping sound on the wooden floor.

She only acted like this when she was either annoyed, or when she expected a confession, which was weird because I was not guilty of anything... that I knew of. Well, if you didn't count the candy I stole from a toddler a few days ago. In my defense, the twerp was annoying me.

"What?"  I asked when she didn't quit it.

She narrowed her eyes further at me.

"You've been acting strange lately."

"Stealing candy from a baby is not strange!"

It wasn't! Especially not when the kid kept sticking his tongue out at you and making stupid faces! The little rat didn't deserve the unopened Snickers bar it held.

Her eyes widened.

"You stole candy from a baby? What-"

She threw her hands in the air and shook her head.