One ~ The Dream

Blood everywhere; she was slipping on it. Her hands and feet drenched in blood, as she trudged through a house that must have been beautiful before it was destroyed.

Its once cream wallpaper, now chipping, was painted red with blood. A chandelier that lay shattered in pieces cut into her feet, sending jolts of agonising pain up her legs. However, despite the ache, she ran to escape the fate of those poor people crumpled on the ground. 

The remains of what must have been a human body was surrounded by detached limbs, discarded on the ground around it. The eye sockets were hollow.

Tears stained her cheeks as she ran up a flight of stairs and into a small room. There was no possibility of evading the murderer, yet the girl hid inside a wardrobe.

Unbridled terror suffocated her as a weight settled upon her chest, weighing her down a thousand tons.

The smell of blood and death wafted through the air as light footsteps sounded outside the door.

"I know you're in here, come out, come out, wherever you are..."

My eyes flew open. I was momentarily confused about my whereabouts, but, it didn't take me long to realise I was safe in my bedroom.

Sitting up in bed I tried to calm my racing heart as sweat trickled down my back.

"There'saninjaturtleinmybed!"

Alexis yelled as she sat up in bed next to me. Still delirious from the nightmare, I rubbed my eyes and blinked several times in the darkness.

As my eyes focused, I turned my attention to my sleep-talking friend who was still mumbling about... a ninja turtle making out with her in bed? What?

"What the hell are you talking about, Alexis?"

I asked as she giggled at something in her dream, before adorably scrunching her nose.

"He screams like a girl though, so you can have him. I'm just gonna..." She snuggled closer to me and rested her cheek against my shoulder.

"...Sleep." She started snoring.

"Yeah that's right, go back to sleep with your... ninja turtle boyfriend."

I whispered, as I gently pushed her cheek off my shoulder with an index finger.

Ninja turtles, seriously? I shuddered.

I set Alexis back down on her side of the bed as I dragged myself out. My head felt like someone had played whack - a - mole with it, only having used a sledgehammer instead.

Clutching my forehead, I stumbled to the adjoint bathroom. Switching the button on, I instantly hissed at the sudden piercing light. Groaning, I walked to the sink and splashed ice-cold water over my face.

The blissful water immediately worked its magic, as I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Come out, come out wherever you are..."

The nightmare.

It had been the same dream again, the one I had dreamt on countless nights. However, I couldn't shake the feeling that it was somehow different this time. 

Then it came to me. 

The pungent smell of blood.

The agony.

Unlike before, I had lived the dream. 

"Rosalind, are you okay?"

I turn around to see Serena, one of my best friends, standing in the doorway with tired, worried eyes.