-Sam-

We walked out to the grassy meadow, the flat spot that formed the roof of our cave. He passed me a cigarette, and tossed me a lighter, never meeting my eyes. I lit the cigarette before tossing his lighter back, letting him light his own. He took a long drag before he ever spoke.

"Sam.. I know you aren't going to want to hear this, and to be honest I don't even know how to say it.." His eyes finally flickered up to meet mine, and they showed nothing but nervousness.

What was wrong with him...? I'd never seen him like this, even in everything we'd been through. I took a drag, slowly exhaling the smoke while I waited on him to continue.

We'd finished the cigarettes before he spoke again. He moved closer to me, silently, so close I could smell the smoke that lingered on him. He eased closer, until we were so close I could feel his breath fanning across my face, so close that it was uncomfortable. But for whatever reason, I couldn't lean away, couldn't move back; I was paralyzed, as if frozen to the ground.

"Oh, fuck it.. I'm in love with you." His voice was deep, raspy, dropping a full octave and husky with emotion. I looked up then, going to ask him what the hell he was talking about, but my question was stopped before it began.

He kissed me, soft, patient.. I was simultaneously shocked and mesmerized. I could taste the smoke, the cool flavor of the cigarette still clinging to his lips. It was only when one of his hands slipped around to wrap around the back of my neck, and the other trailed between my shoulderblades, tracing my spine on its descent down my back, that I snapped to reality and jumped back.