Chapter 47

The song for this chapter is "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran. You have no idea how hard I tried to resist using this song for this chapter, but once I thought of it, nothing else sounded right for it. I've been hooked on Lord of the Rings since I was little when my dad read my sister and I a few pages each night before bed. I'm the person that wondered if Ianite in Middle Earth is Galadriel, would World Historian have been Sauron or Morgoth. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, I love you. <3

*clears throat* Please forgive me. This is not an LOTR fan fiction. Let's just get to the story before I go on a tangent about how much I love the Tale of Beren and Luthien...

*Wag's POV*

I didn't realize things had gotten this bad. Dagrun had it easy by comparison. The entire rolling plain before me was dead, and it stretched for miles in every direction. The stubbly grass had all turned brown and the shrubby trees (or were they tall bushes?) populating the landscape were swiftly turning a red brown as well. The occasional desiccated prickly pear cactus or thorny mesquite bush were the only landmarks in sight. Apparently the small corner of the plain I had camped on last night was the only green part left. It was eerily quiet as I continued to fly. Memento ranged ahead on foot looking and listening for any signs of life or further evidence of the trail our quarry had left.

We had been following the trail left by Mianite's soldiers for a few days now. I had no idea where they were headed, but they seemed to be in a hurry. They only stopped at night by the looks of things. They had a good two and a half days' head start on me, but I think we might have actually been gaining on them now. The last campfire we passed still had a few embers glowing in it. With that hope driving us, we pressed on.

We spotted the small herd of malnourished cattle at the same time. There was a cluster of mortals herding them in the direction we'd come from. The mortals looked in little better shape than their tan and white cattle and were covered in the red brown dust that passed for soil here. It appeared to be a family with two teenage sons.

One of the lads hailed me and waved me over. I landed and approached on foot, suddenly wishing I still had my angel ring. I remembered my brothers mentioning that wizards had a price on their heads among Mianite followers. "Hello!" I called nervously as the group drew closer. I hoped they did not note the strain in my voice.

Memento stayed hidden behind one of the shrubby trees. I'll provide a distraction if they try anything.

I sent my familiar a feeling of appreciation and refocused on the four mortals now standing before me. The younger of the teenage boys spoke up first with exaggerated tiredness, "Pleeeease tell me that there's something green ahead of us. We've been walking for two days!"

The boy's mother scolded him. Turning to me, she apologized, "Please excuse his rude behavior..."

"It's quite alright ma'am," I interrupted, grinning under my hood as I held up a hand. "There is a wooded area and a pond after the plains that still have life in them. If you keep going straight, it'll be about half a day's walk, I'd wager."

The older of the two boys was now looking at me with his brown eyes wide in disbelief. I couldn't think why until Memento commented, You just showed off your grey skin; congrats. If they didn't know you were a wizard before, they do now. I internally face palmed. It's been a while since I had to hide the fact I was a wizard.

"You're a wizard!" The boy yelled, pointing at me. Turning to his little brother, he gloated, "I told you they were real!"

Told you so, my cat chimed smugly.

Shut it, Memento.

I started to slowly back away from the four mortals and reach for my spell book when the father spoke up for the first time. "Joseph, hush. Mr. Wizard, we aren't going to hurt you. Does it even look like we could?" He motioned to his family. "Besides, what good is a reward in a world that's falling apart?" I couldn't settle my mind on whether that sentiment was amusing or depressing. They did look in pretty rough shape, and the mother and father looked terrified of me.