Chapter 83

The song for this chapter is "Your Guardian Angel" by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. There is a place to start listening in the chapter. I'm going to put the video link there too. I know sometimes mobile users have issues with one or the other. Let me know which way you prefer. :)

Y'all have no idea how badly this chapter makes me wish I could draw worth a hoot. Do y'all ever have full scenes playing out in your heads while you're writing/reading? I have the whole song part choreographed in my head. >.<

Warning: feels, blood, and death (?)

*Waglington's POV*

The gods had decided we needed to abandon this world before it fell apart with us in it. I was about to ask how exactly we planned to do that when I heard Sonja a few feet away. "Tucker? Tucker, what's wrong?" I looked over to see her shaking his shoulder. He seemed to have almost fallen asleep where he stood. His eyes were closed, but his fingers were twitching. As I watched, those fingers steadied and tightened into a fist. He opened his eyes, and Sonja gasped, stepping back. "Oh no... Guys, get back! Mianite's controlling Tucker again!" I looked more closely at my friend and noticed his eyes seemed oddly focused and much lighter than I remembered them. Sonja yelped, jumping aside just in time to avoid Tucker's kikoku as he drew it.

I was still processing all this information when Tucker flew straight for Dianite, sword drawn back to swing. Dianite's reflexes had the speed of his divine nature, thankfully. He took off flying around the throne room with Tucker hot on his heels. "Oi, Jericho!" He sounded oddly like Steve when he said that, but there were more important things to think of right now.

My friends and I shot into the air to try to stop Tucker. "Tucker, snap out of it!" Sonja yelled to no avail. She somehow managed to catch up to him and grabbed his shoulder, but he threw her off roughly, sending her spiraling back down towards the lava. Mot dove and caught her. She seemed shaken as he flew her to the platform, but okay. A few feet from them, I saw Donella turn Alroy, Ilanna, and Akatena invisible to keep them out of harm's way. Then she turned herself invisible. The hard look on her face let me know she would be doing more than hiding. Martha remained where she had been all this time, seemingly oblivious. Memento guarded her, eyeing us as we flew by overhead. Gaines was conspicuously absent, and Mianite looked quite pleased with himself where he floated above the platform. I launched a firestorm spell at him, hoping to break his concentration and free Tucker, but he didn't even acknowledge that he got hit. It would take all of us to even dent that cursed mythril armor he wore. I turned my attention back to Tucker where I might actually do some good.

Jordan was clumsily catching up to him. He didn't use his air sigil near as often as Tucker, and it showed. He did manage to tackle Tucker away from Dianite once when he got too close, but his flying grew more erratic the longer this went on. I saw him rub his head with one hand and wondered if his thaumcraft side effects had picked this inopportune moment to flare up. Tom knocked Tucker off course as he flew by another time, though he didn't hit hard for fear of hurting his friend. I hadn't been able to land a hit yet. Hold still and let me stop you!

"Can someone tell me what the epic hell is going on?!" Dianite shouted; he sounded slightly winded. He hadn't recovered his full strength yet. This was bad.

Mianite took this as his cue to start gloating. "A blow drawing blood gives me a little control, but the potency of the blood really depends on the willingness of the giver." I only half paid attention as I fired another blinding and disarming spell at Tucker. Of course it missed. "A droplet of blood freely given is much better than one taken by force, but still not optimal. A contract signed in blood truly expresses the consent of the giver. This is the ideal vehicle for domination."