Chapter 2 Prove It

I am in the training hall, shooting at a target; when Phasma walks in. She strolls towards me and watches me as I shoot. I never feel nervous when people watch me shoot, I actually feel pretty confident in myself. None of the other storm troopers talk negatively towards me because I am always near Phasma and she has taken me under her wing. I would go so far as to say she regards me as a sibling or a close family member.

I shoot my blaster six times, each laser discharge finding its target. I wasn't always so good at this stuff, though, when I first went through training I was weak. The trainers and my fellow trainees would pummel me. But one-day Phasma came up to me and told me that I was strong and that she saw something special in me. She would help me with my fighting and aim in our free time. And even though I never saw her face I knew she was smiling underneath her helmet every time I won a spar or hit my targets. Eventually, Phasma became my superior, but she soon made me her second in command.

After I finished shooting, Phasma congratulates me.

"Good shooting YN-176, keep up the good work."

I nod, reset my stance and prepare to shoot again. Right before I start shooting, the training room door opens and I freeze. Kylo Ren walks into the training room; his mask covering his face and his long, dark black robes surrounding him. There are only two things in the entire universe that scare me. One is Snoke and the other is Kylo Ren.

I have always been intimidated by Ren, but through the power of rumors, I have come to fear him.

I can tell he is criticizing all the storm troopers, looking at every single one of them and picking out their flaws.

"Don't stop, get back to training" Kylo's robotic voice thunders.

All the Storm Troopers scramble to return to their training exercises. I snap my gaze back to the new target that has been set up for me. Then I hear Kylo Ren's footsteps start in my direction.

"Hello Captain Phasma" Kylo greets.

"Hello Master of the Knights of Ren" she retorts.

"What are you doing in the training room" Kylo questions in a deep voice.

"I am checking on all the Storm Troopers, sir. But I stopped to admire our best one, YN-176" she replies while gesturing to me.

I freeze again, I can feel Kylo's criticizing gaze on me. It feels as if someone is burning holes in the back of my head and I am worried he is trying to read my mind.

"This one doesn't even seem how to know how to fire a weapon" Kylo Ren says in an angry tone.

I can't embarrass Phasma and I definitely can't embarrass myself. I clear my mind, take a deep breath and fire eight times. Each shot made it to the target, hitting the head heart both shoulders and arms and two in the abdomen. I let out a sigh of relief. I can still feel Ren's gaze burrowing into me.

"Just because they can hit a target, does not mean they are the best" Kylo Ren grunts. "YN-176, prove the title your captain has given you."

Slowly I turn towards him, I am both grateful and angry that I have my Storm Trooper armor and helmet on. I am sweating from fear.

"How can I prove myself, sir," I ask, trying to sound calm.

"You must face me in combat" he replies. I can almost hear the sinister smile that I'm sure he is wearing under his mask.

He walks over to the combat area and orders the Storm Troopers to move out of the way and gather around. I grab a Z6 baton from the wall of weapons (the weapon that TR8R uses) and walk over to the combat area. I try to hide my shaking arms and legs, my heart is beating so loud I think that everyone one else can hear it. Kylo Ren takes a few menacing steps towards me.

"If you hold back, I will crush you" he threatens.

He steps back and pulls out his lightsaber; I flick the baton to enable it. I take a defensive stance. Kylo Ren slashes his saber downwards, I bring the baton up to block him. He pushes down while I try to force him upward. The plasma of the saber is so close to me, that I can feel its intense heat. With a quick swipe, I am able to knock him down. I bring the baton downwards but he blocks it with his lightsaber. He pushes me back, I take another swing at him but he blocks that too. This time he uses the force to throw me to the ground. I sweep his leg out from under him and go for a quick jab. He dodges it and swings left in an attempt to hit me. I lay flat on the floor to avoid his saber. I give a kick to his ribs and stand up. I am flung across the room and pinned against the wall. The impact makes me dizzy and disorients my vision. I dropped my baton while I was being thrown. Kylo Ren walks toward me slowly, lightsaber in hand. I try my best to struggle against the force holding me against the wall, but I can hardly move. What did I do to deserve this? I am not even twenty years old and here I am about to be killed by a sith apprentice. He holds the tip of the lightsaber close to my neck. He rears back, and I close my eyes.

Nothing? Nothing happens, I open my eyes and see that Kylo Ren's masked face is now inches away from mine. We make brief eye contact and he backs away. He releases his force and I drop to the floor.

"You are a good soldier and a good fighter. But don't give up so easily, ever" he whispers.

He backs away even further. Did I just get a compliment from Kylo Ren?

"Captain Phasma, we have some things to discuss," Kylo says.

He turns and walks out of the training room. Phasma tells everyone to get back to training. I get up off the floor and start to walk towards the shooting station, but Phasma stops me.

"Not you YN-176, you go to your room and rest."

I brush myself off and follow Phasma out of the training room. I walk for a while until I reach the housing quarters. I find my room and go inside. Once inside I throw off my helmet off and run my hands through my hair.

I can't believe that just happened! I just fought with Kylo Ren! And for what; because Phasma said I was the best???!!! How does that make any sense? Why didn't he kill me, the First Order can find another Storm Trooper to replace me.

I take off the rest off my armor, leaving me in a long-sleeved black shirt and black pants. I pull back the sheet on my bed and crawl in. My body hurts from being thrown around, so it takes me a while to drift off, but soon I off to sleep.

________________________Hello there friends! Luna here, I hope you liked this chapter and I hope you keep reading. You have lots to look forward to. Leave some suggestions on what you think and don't feel afraid to leave some constructive criticism. >///< Enjoy your reading and see you soon.