Chapter Fifteen • Coffee

"I'm practically begging you to send me home, Ricky."

It was now the finals; I'd tackled the Semi's almost effortlessly with the help of my coach. But I could notice people acting strange around us - sensing our similar traits and inside jokes. It was only last week when Michelle was sent home, and now I wanted to be next.

"Angela!" He began, holding back a smile. "It's a competition."
"Exactly, it's just a competition. It's not the end of the world." I replied. I reached over to the cake (that the staff had gifted to us as a congratulations for reaching the finals) and swirled my finger into the icing. I was about to lick it off when he did it for me instead, trying to make it seductive as he used his tongue around my fingertip, but I burst into a fit of laughter.
"How hot." I exclaimed sarcastically.
"It's tasty," He said in defence. I rolled my eyes.

It was rehearsals, and we were in his dressing room yet again. I was sat grinning up at him from the arm of his beige sofa.

"I'm trying to start an argument and you come along and start eating my hand." I told him, laughing. He drew closer and placed his forehead on mine.
"I don't want to argue, love." He said quietly.
"Neither do I." I caved in.
"Let's just - try not to fight for the next 24 hours." He suggested whilst standing back and placing his hands on my waist.
I nodded in agreement.

Later that day, we emerged into the daylight when leaving the studios and decided to get a harmless drink in Costa. We both ordered coffee and perched at a small table by the window.
"You look nice in red." He complimented, referring to the scarlet top I had paired with some black jeans.
"Thank-you." I answered with a grin.

It was scarcely a moment later when a man who hurdled past was tripped over a chair leg and came thundering down into my lap. In the midst, his coffee leapt up in the air and poured all over my attire, drenching me in toffee-scented steamed milk.
A squeal escaped my mouth as I tried to haul the stranger off of me. His hands scrambled up to my torso in attempt to get back on his feet.
"I am so sorry!" The guy blurted out, racing to grab some napkins. I used them to dab over my top, barely drying anything.
"It's... Okay." I replied, forcing a smile.

After some more awkward smalltalk, the man had left to order another coffee and left me and Ricky alone.
"Well that was hot." He said a minute later.
"Funny." I stated, tilting my head to the side, unimpressed.
"Cmon, let's go back to my dressing room. I'll get you a new top. Maybe borrow one of Rita's." He told me.

So, we then made our way back to the studios after the pointless journey and strolled down the corridor to locate backstage.
"After tomorrow night, everything will be over." Ricky reminded me. "You don't need to worry about winning or losing. I'll always be here for you."
I stopped us both and snaked my hands up to his cheeks. Raising myself on my feet, he leaned in and kissed me; wrapping his arms around me. It was almost as if we were immune to the danger of the public now.

We eventually reached Rita's dressing room and knocked on the large white door. Nothing.
"We'll just take something she won't wear. She probably won't even notice." He said unsurely. I nodded wearily as we slowly swung open the door.
There was a wide selection of her clothing to choose from - and I took the opportunity to flick through them individually. Ricky took a place on the sofa, reaching his hand across the arm when his eyes locked with the bottle of red wine sitting promiscuously on the table.
"Yes please," He announced, unclasping the top and taking it straight from the bottle. "She won't mind. Hopefully."
"Ricky, it's four in the afternoon." I alerted him whilst laughing.
"It's always a good time for wine." He replied cheerfully. He set the bottle down again.
"Oh-" His eyes darted up to a pristine white dress hung on the rack. "Just don't wear that one. She told me her friend bought it for her from Italy, and she's apparently gonna wear it tomorrow for the final."
"Alright. Well, I'll just put it down here then. So nothing bad happens to it." I told him, unhooking the expensive-looking dress and placing it on the table.
"How about I just wear this?" I asked him. I held up a cropped grey tank-top.
"Yeah, that's nice."
"Okay. Well. Go on." I gestured to him.
"Go on with what?" He asked, laughing.
"Turn around!" I ordered him with a smile.
After rolling his eyes, he buried his face into the couch so I could pull my current coffee-stained top over my head and replace it with Rita's substitute.
"You can look now," I permitted. "and we should probably go."
"Come here first." He demanded.
I walked closer to him before he retreated his hands to my waist and pulled me onto him so I was practically sat on him.
"Yes?" I asked as I settled my palms onto his chest, feeling him breathing in and out. There was definitely a moment of hesitation before he replied.
"I think I love you."

It was the second time he'd ever said it, his cheeks blushing with nerves. My heartbeat almost paused as if the world had come to a halt.

"I love you." I reciprocated, my smile growing.
He took my hand and left small, soft kisses up the length of my arm and back down again. "I am so lucky to have you."
There was nothing I could say that could outline the way I felt about him, so I leant down and continued his act by kissing along his jawline, then down his neck.
He lifted his chin in response and I carried on, easing a smile into each one. It wasn't long until my lips soon found their way to his.
Thinking it was the right time, I attempted to use my own foot to escape my shoe, and suddenly knocked the bottle of wine over. I hurriedly scampered up and watched as the red liquid smothered Rita's white dress.
"Oh my Lord," I panicked, bounding onto my feet and standing up the bottle. Looking down at the dress (now submerged in a thick layer of alcohol), my eyes widened at the huge mess.
"Nice going." He said as he paced the room, his hands covering his face in misery.
"I'm sorry." I declared sarcastically. "Oh god, Ricky, what am I gonna do?"

(A/N Sorry I took so long to update! Thank you for your comments, ily guys)