(21)Coercing Coral Rivers

Start from the beginning

Thanatos stayed seated on my bed; I didn't allow my eyes to wander in his direction. I wasn't ready for him just yet.

"I take it you had a pleasant dream?" His sounded amused, but there was an underlying tone of concern hidden in his voice. I tried to keep my cool and not show my complete loss of words or my absolute confusion. 

I had, for the first time in my life, no idea what the hell to do. I always had a plan, but this morning, all of my plans just seemed too silly, too useless or too impossible to even consider.

So I let his question hang in the thick air.

The cool breeze was blocked by the curtains; so not even that could sooth my heated cheeks. I considered opening the blinds and stepping outside onto the balcony, but then I'd have to face the world. I'd have to face what had happened. What I allowed to happen.

I stayed put until the ground would swallow me up or the air would make me disappear.

No such luck.

"Aurora..." His voice was careful.

I realised then that last night did a number on him as well- not just me. It seemed like he was different; he certainly acted strangely. He had a more cautious tone to his voice; I had no idea whether or not that was in any way a good thing.

I tried to make my problem vanish by not answering.

Again, no such luck.

"Angel..."

"Why?" My voice was so soft it took me a moment too realise I'd said my thoughts aloud. 

Thanatos, though, had heard me.

"Why not?" His answer was good enough, and so I turned around to meet the devil once again.

There he sat, his strong arms supporting his upper body as he leaned back on the bed. His legs were partly covered by the white sheets and from the angle where I stood, it almost looked like Thanatos was nude- his hips and thighs covered with the white blanket. His body was turned in my direction and his eyes were focused solely on mine. 

I felt naked under his scrutiny. Those red eyes were like bright suns, shooting flames. His arched eyebrows were beautifully sculpted and his lashes were longer and darker than any man's I'd ever seen. A supermodel would've been jealous of his high cheekbones and that chin was made to be admired. 

Thanatos' hair was disheveled and tousled, which made it look even blacker and thicker; if that were even possible. I paused my breathing. Thanatos had the most beautiful sun-kissed skin I'd ever seen. He lived up to the expectation of every Greek god ever. 

I wondered then, for the hundredth time, why he wasn't the Greek god of beauty instead.

My eyes couldn't help but stray down to those impeccably sweet lips and my heart did a flip at how deliciously adorable he looked with his parted pout and that concerned look in his eyes. Was he honestly concerned?

Or was that the lack of fresh air playing mind games with my head?

Either way, his tone was full of hidden unease. "Come here."

I shook my head slowly. My voice had left me. Thanatos held my gaze as he pulled the sheets from his body. I blushed slightly at the thought of him actually sleeping in the nude. 

He kept his eyes on my face as he stood up and walked towards me, with a certain grace that put me into a trance in an instant. This walk was unlike his normal walk, which reminded me so much of a snake. This was like he was walking towards an injured deer, not yet sure if it was worth killing or saving.