I don't want to sound like a philosophical ass, but times are changing!

~~~~

Excuse the mistakes

Sorry this wasn't up sooner, but I was watching Meekakitty live @BullseyeU and got distracted... Upside, she answered one of my questions!

Dedicated to Shady234 because she's my buddy :)

~~~~

“Have you seriously not finishing unpacking yet?”

I looked up from my laptop, where I was just finishing an English assignment, and I saw Penny standing next to the only stack of boxes in my room. She’d come over after school to work on homework, but that really meant Penny wanted to go through my closet while I worked on homework.

“I’ve been busy,” I replied defensively, and I gestured at the boxes, “Besides, there’s only books and knick-knacks in there; you know, useless things.”

“So you unpacked all your CDs and DVDs, but not your books,” Penny said, and I blushed as I glanced over at my bookshelves, which was stocked with my music and movie collections.

“I don’t have much time to read,” I stated, and then I finished the last sentence of my English assignment. I sent it off to the printer downstairs, and I closed my laptop and sat it down on my bedside table, which was really just a stool. Then, I flopped back on my bed and crossed my arms over my face in exhaustion.

 “So,” Penny drawled, and I could feel as she plopped down on my bed, “You wanna tell me what’s going on between you and Dane?”

“What?” I asked, my eyes snapping out. I propped myself up on my elbows, “What are you talking about?”

“C’mon, Kels,” Penny replied, giving me a knowing look, “He got you on the team and he keeps standing up for you when the other guys give you crap. What’s going on between you guys?”

“Absolutely nothing,” I stated firmly, and I pushed myself up into a sitting position. I’d told Penny about Dane standing up for me the other day at practice, when the guys were getting on me about the sprints, and now I was regretting it. I really didn’t need her starting to think that there was something going on between us, when clearly, there wasn’t.

“Well,” Penny sighed, shaking her hair out, “It’s only a matter of time.”

I raised an eyebrow at her but didn’t respond because my relationship with Dane wasn’t exactly a topic I wanted to dive into. He was my captain, and maybe slightly a friend, but that was it. I couldn’t tell if Dane was defending me because he liked me, or if he was doing it because that was something captains do; keep peace amongst the team.

“So,” Penny drawled, breaking the silence that had settled in the room, “Are you excited for Friday’s game?”

“I guess,” I replied, and I shrugged. “I mean, I don’t want to get in another fight, and I heard this team isn’t exactly clean. I really don’t need your dad getting on me about stupid penalties again.”

“You know,” Penny said, tipping her head to the side, “I think my dad is actually starting to like you.”

If I had been drinking something, it would’ve come shooting out of my nose.

“What?” I asked incredulously, “You can’t be serious!”

“I am, Kelsey,” she replied, and she pulled her knees up to her chest. “In the kitchen last night, he was talking to my mom about the team. She asked about you and how you were doing, and he actually smiled at her.”