Chapter 10

Luke returned to see the orthopedist during the first week of November and was rewarded with the removal of his cast.  The doctor showed him the new x-ray films and expressed how impressed he was with the healing process.  He attributed it to Luke’s continued training with the team and hearty eating habits.

Even though the cast was removed he was still required to wear a brace for the next month for further healing and stabilization.  Luke was relieved to wear jeans again and walk without crutches.  He felt liberated.

As the early days of November quickly gave way to the approaching Thanksgiving holiday, Luke noticed some other changes taking place.

Stiller remained adamant that they continue attending swim and dive meets, which Luke was happy to do in support of Annie.  Watching her dive never lost its thrill and she continued to stay atop the leader board. 

While Stiller liked watching the races and other divers, Luke knew he primarily went to see Annie.  He hadn’t openly admitted anything but ever since the night of the Halloween mixer he’d been paying closer attention to Annie.  He took every opportunity that he could to say hello to her or check in on her whenever she crossed his path.

Luke’s feelings remained mixed.  Matt was a good guy and if it were any other girl he’d have no qualms about encouraging his pursuit.  However, this was Annie.  His Annie.  Should Luke decide that he wanted more than friendship and ever work up the nerve to tell her he knew Stiller would be hearty competition.  Luke just wasn’t sure he wanted to go there and possibly ruin the friendship.

To add to his inner turmoil, Kim seemed to be pulling away.  They rarely had time alone together and planning a date felt next to impossible.  She had immersed herself in cheerleading, both for the school and her private competitive squad.  Between that and the service required with her sorority, he rarely saw her.

He wasn’t sure what bothered him more – the fact that Kim no longer made him a priority or the fact that he didn’t care.

He didn’t want to blame the change in their relationship on his feelings for Annie.  His bond with Kim never held much depth to begin with, but after reconnecting with Annie he began to realize how much it lacked.  He wanted to believe he’d have reached the same conclusion even if Annie hadn’t popped back into his life.  However, he couldn’t deny that being with her had changed the way he viewed Kim.

Compared to his current emotional turbulence, school seemed like a breeze.  Annie continued to tutor him but most of the time he’d already accomplished the task with which she came to assist him.  It meant they spent more afternoons and evenings just sitting around chatting, his feelings for her growing even more tangled every day.

She didn’t talk much about Brent, and while Annie seemed to enjoy Matt’s flirting she showed no interest in pursuing it further.  Luke assumed the status of their relationship was the same as it always had been, so he was surprised when he called her one evening to hear tears in her voice.

“Annie, are you crying?”

She sniffled.  “Yeah, a little.”

Luke knew that wasn’t true.  No girl ever cried ‘a little’.  “What’s wrong?”

Annie paused, letting silence float between them before heaving a defeated sigh.  “Brent broke up with me.”

Luke felt like he’d just been tackled.  “What?  Why?”

“We weren’t that serious.  At least, I wasn’t that serious about him.  I guess he finally realized that I never would be and decided to call it quits.”