Chapter 3

Jen and Annie were having lunch at the Underground on Friday when Luke caught up with them again.  Jen spotted him first as she was facing the entrance to the small, underground deli.

"Don't look now," she whispered, "But Prince Charming is here."

Annie laughed.  "You mean Brent?"

Jen shook her head and nodded in Luke's direction.

Annie turned just in time to catch his eye.  He grinned and waved.  Annie groaned.

Jen waved back in her usual friendly fashion.  Annie did not.

"Are you stalking me?" she asked as he approached the table.

Jen gave her a look as if to say, "Be nice!"  Annie ignored her.

"No, but I am glad I ran into you.  There's something I need to ask you."

Annie eyed him warily.  "You're not bailing on Shasta and Shanikwa tomorrow, are you?"

Luke shook his head.  "No. Actually, this has nothing to do with them.  Mind if I grab a sandwich quick?  I'm starving."

Annie shrugged.  "Suit yourself.  This is my friend Jen, by the way."

Jen reached out to shake his hand. 

"Leonard Dukes.  Most people just call me Len." he introduced himself.

"Nice to meet you.  Sorry I can't stay but I've gotta get to class.  See you around."

Luke nodded and watched Jen go before turning back to Annie.

"Your sandwich?" she reminded him.

"Oh, yeah.  Be right back."  He dropped his bag in Jen's vacant seat and made his way to the counter.

Annie sipped on her tea, wondering what he could possibly want.  They hadn't spent this much time together since the summer before middle school.

He returned with two whopping sandwiches and an oversized can of sweet tea.

"Hungry?" she asked, eyeing his plate.

"Just a little," he teased.  "I don't eat this much in the off season."

Annie nodded.  "Right, football.  Who are we playing tonight?"

"IUP."

"They any good?"

Luke nodded, his mouth full of food.

"Can we beat them?"

Luke grinned.  "We're gonna try.  You coming to the game?"

Annie shrugged.  "Maybe.  Not sure what I'm doing yet."

"You should come.  Bring Jen and speedo guy.  It'll be a good game."

Annie couldn't stop her grin.  "Speedo guy?"

"Yeah, you know.  The guy from the pool."

"His name's Brent."

"Ok, Brent.  Bring him and Jen.  I assume he's your boyfriend."

"Yeah, kind of.  We're dating.  Why are we discussing my love life?  I thought you needed to ask me something."

Luke nodded again, working on another bite of sandwich.  "Yeah, there is.  I was wondering. . .you're smart and stuff, right?"

Annie laughed.  "That's your question?"

Luck scowled at her.  "No, not all of it.  I need a tutor.  And I remembered you were, well. . . ."

"A nerd?" Annie supplied.