Chapter 27

Arabella's POV

"So," Marcos started. "I'd prefer it if you didn't say anything, do anything etcetera until I'm finished. Ok?"

I nodded slowly. Fear and worry slid down my throat, pushing my gag reflexes. I felt sick.

"So," Marcos said again, "This..." he stopped and swallowed hard, as if swallowing a rock or mouthful of sand.

----------------------------

Alaric's POV, 427 years ago, Renaissance Italy- 1589. 16th century.

I felt the leaves above my head rush like rivers. Mother smiled and laughed as my father pretended to trip and fall- he looked up as us from the floor, a goofy grin creased across his face. I felt a warm glow of happiness spread through me like honey. Sweet, sticky, yet pleasant.

I rolled my eyes, embarrassed by my parents' silliness.

My mother placed a hand on my shoulder and smiled. "Just because you're 15, doesn't mean you're not my baby still."

I ducked away from her clutch.

Then all I heard was a scream.

It was my mother- her yowl of pain was like ice in my ears. I felt my wolf sense tingle as 5 men filed into the clearing and surrounded us. My father let out a low, menacing growl, full of his beta power. I could hear his bones pop and crack. He shifted into his brown wolf.

Soon my mother did the same. Her black wolf was terrifying at the best of times.

Together with my Father, she surrounded me, guarding me from the men. I'd always heard how bad it was to have you first shift- how you'd ache for days afterwards, so I've never been in a hurry to do it- except for now. I willed myself to shift- I have to, I have to, I have to,- but it was impossible.

As my parents growled, I expected the men to cower and retreat. But instead they let out several chilling laughs.

Who are these guys?

somewhat fazed, my mother took a step closer to me, her growl quieting. My father however, wasn't.

Two of the men to a step towards him, still laughing. They grabbed his scruff- the lose, yet sensitive fur behind his neck- and tugged him to the floor. Wincing as he yelped in pain, I felt tears sting my eyes.

"Stop!" I cried angrily.

One of the men, obviously the ring leader, chuckled lowly.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," with his head he motioned to my tightly curled fists.

I took a step forward and raised my fist. I was about to take a swing at the ring leader, when one of the men holding my father kicked him in the gut, and hard.

My Mother howled and jumped at the ring leader. I saw a flash of white jaws as she clamped her mouth over his arm, ripping away his flesh with easy movements. He screamed loudly.

Still willing myself to shift, I watched in horror as the leader, whose neat blonde hair was now messy and strewn across his face, bit down into my mother's leg, drawing a lot of blood.

The other men, who were just watching thus far, grabbed me from behind. Punching me in the gut so as to wind me, they forced my to my knees. One held my hands behind my back painfully and another held my neck at an angle. Something sharp was placed against my neck. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of the men holding me- the sharp things were his teeth. Fangs!

Then it all dawned on me- they were vampires. A chill ran through my warm body as I remembered all the stories of the feud between our races and the warnings my parents had berated into me about them.

"Hey bitch!" one of the men sniggered.

My mother looked up from the lead vampire, jaws heavy with blood. Her eyes dilated with fear as she saw me, a vampires fangs about to seep into my neck.  

Slowly, she backed away.

As one of the men landed another punch on my gut, I groaned in pain. They grabbed my mother and held back her arms, preventing her from shifting.

Questions raced through my mind as the men punched me. When would it stop? What will happen to us? Is my father alright? My mother? Would we see the pack again? Will I have my first shift? When? 

But one word was prominent in my head- Fuck.