Chapter 2

Renaissance Italy- 1693

Screaming- It's all i hear. Pain- It's all i feel. Darkness and blood- that's all i see. Then suddenly a flash a silver, laced with a purple flower, scratches through the darkness and the blood and adds to the pain. A scream- a howl- of agony flew from my mouth like an arrow from a cross-bow.

Tormenting laughter wracked across the room. A pair of fangs flashed in the darkness.

Why? It's the question always on my mind. Why me? Why do hate us? Why us? The laughter died down. Now all i can hear is the far away screaming of some unfortunate soul and the gentle dripping of blood.

A body fell in front of me, then another. Blood pooled out onto the dirty concrete floor. As the bodies were turned, their faces were revealed.

————————————-

I opened my eyes slowly. Had i been alive i would've been sweating, with shivers riding up and down my back. But no. I'm dead. I don't sweat, i don't shiver, I don't even cry.

That glimpse, it would've been a dream, had I been able to dream or to sleep. That was no dream, that was memory.

Everyone has a demon inside them; something they are intent on locking away forever, something no one should know about them. If you think i'm wrong then feel free to correct me, but i assure i am not.

I sat up and looked around my room. It was plain and simple, with white washed walls and a single blue sofa by the window. The windows were special so as to block out the UV rays. There are no shelves, no book cases or chest-of-draws- only a pile of clothes. I have no need for useless things that apparently bring joy or happiness to peoples lives. how wrong they are- they no nothing of happiness or sadness or pain.

I walked out of my room and went down the stairs, in search of nothing in particular. I bumped into my adoptive brother, Marcos.

"Whoa, didn't see you there Rick." He smiled and apologised.

"It's Alaric." I mumbled, hiding behind my tawny blonde-brown hair.

"Look, Rick-" I glared at him, "Alaric, sorry. Why can't we be friends." he smiled. "After all i did save your life."

"I was fine the way i was. I didn't need help." I growled lowly.

"You were dying Alaric." his smile began to fade.

"Exactly." i spat. I stomped away from him, not caring what else he said.