Chapter 3: Through the Flames

Start from the beginning

"There's gas leaking out the back of the car..." Lauren murmured. "That's what's keeping the fire going. It must be..."

I looked over. "What are you thinking?" I asked her, watching her eyes flicker with the change of demeanour that had came so abruptly.

"Stay here." Lauren looked at me urgently. "Don't leave the building, okay?"

"Wait Lauren..." I reached out to grab her by the arm. "What are you going to do?"

"It's going to take too long for ambulances to get here." The girl explained, eying the customers that were frantically dialling away on their phones, and the cluster of cars that had stopped on the road. The traffic was now blocking any others from accessing the accident. "There are people in there that need help now."

"You're not leaving this building." I increased the grip on her arm. "Don't even think about it."

"Sorry." Lauren took my wrist in her other hand and slowly pried me off of her. "I've already thought it through Camila. Twice." I let my jaw drop to the ground as she placed both her hands on my shoulders and backed me up into the booth once more. "Stay put okay? Don't move."

Without another sound, Lauren was headed through the chaos and out the door, staring down the fiery scene with nothing but determination. It was just then when I began to wonder exactly what I had gotten myself into by bringing this girl home.

***

"Lauren!" I scrambled to my feet, dashing out of the booth and weaving my way out of the restaurant. Seconds before the girl stepped out into the rain, I grabbed the back of her jacket and balled as much of it as I could in my fist. "Lauren wait!"

"Camila? Did you not hear what I said? Go back inside and let me handle this!"

"A professional should handle this!" I tugged her backwards. "Someone who's been trained in safety, or at the very least someone with a crane! Not you! You'll get yourself hurt!"

"Camila." Lauren turned to me with a urgent look. "If the people in that car spend any more time under there, they aren't going to make it. And that's only assuming that they've survived the impact as is." She pressed a hand to the centre of my chest and I went stumbling back towards the indoors. "It'll be safe inside."

Before I could argue once more, a terrifying scream ripped through the air and we both whirled around to face the car. "Get inside Camila. Now." Lauren's eyes flashed angrily, and she spun on her heel to take off into the rain.

Staying put only for three seconds, I forced my feet to move after her knowing the rain was drowning out any sound. Lauren stalked her way through the crowd and towards the accident, despite being shouted at by multiple bystanders. When she was far too close to the fire for comfort, the girl dropped to her knees and tore off her jacket, slamming it to the ground and muffling the flames beneath her. Using the viable surface as leverage, she then used a nearby rock to smash the front glass, and finished the job with her shoulder.

My jaw was once more on the ground as Lauren disappeared inside the front of the vehicle and reappeared with a small girl in her arms. I dashed forward and made myself present, much to her shock and anger. "Camila?! I thought I told you to wait inside! What are you doing here?!" She shouted at me through the rain and murmurs of the crowd.

"Screw that." I gritted my teeth together and knelt down. "If you're going to be a complete idiot  and put your life in danger, then you're not going to do it alone!"

Only a split second of serenity passed between us before Lauren had snapped back into action. "Take her." She nodded, holding the small girl out, who was writhing in her arms. "There's someone else in there, and I need to get them."