Chapter 32 - Cello

Start from the beginning

I don't think opening these issues would help us right now. "Me too, but we'll be fine?" my voice rises up at the end of the sentence, as if I'm asking a question. I don't mean to, I clear my throat, "We'll be fine." I state with decisiveness.

"How can you say that with everything that we've been through?"

"Because," I pause, searching for a good reason, something that would convince us both. "Because it's too predictable that something bad will happen. Up until now, everything that happened to us was unpredictable, therefore if something bad happens, it won't be the sort of bad we can predict."

"That doesn't make me feel better at all."

I frown, "Not even slightly?"

"No."

What can I do? I laugh and scratch my head. The rest of the short drive from the mansion to the Zephyr we spend thinking up things that could go wrong and laughing about them.

By the time we reach our destination, we both feel so melancholy and serious, we could cry.

We arrive just as the familiar front gates roll open. We walk inside with the crowd, our feet heavy, our hearts caught in our throats. Down the quiet, clean and airy streets of the Zephyr campus among the white domed buildings, people break away, each one going about their business. The largest group, however, accompanies us to the main dome of the Zephyr.

"Cello." Rosalisa calls to me right before we enter the main dome. I turn at the sound of her voice; she's standing slightly off the main "street", smiling at me.

"I'll go ahead and wait in line for the elevator," Syianne tells me and hurries off. I cross towards Rosalisa and she links her arm through mine as we start walking round the main dome until we're out of sight.

"I'm also Plunging today. I just thought this would be a nice opportunity, because I'm completely Out."

I look down at her. We're dating for barely a week, but this is getting ridiculously hard. Even if she's using me, I think I may have real feelings for her. I feel attracted to her — but who wouldn't? This is Risa Medrick and she's more beautiful than anyone else. But she's smooth and smart too, and even the fact that she may be using me for some ulterior motive has become attractive. There's also something more to her, something deep and sad underneath the surface. She's high and mighty, but I can't shake the feeling that she's also just as lonely. She has two years on me and she's leading me by the ear — but I've decided not to mind it at all.

I kiss her without holding back. I feel the tingle of power that usually courses out of her body into mine, but it feels hollow somehow, almost as if it's only the promise of power rather than the power itself. She leans against me, passing fingers through my hair, enjoying this rare freedom. She feels amazing. Our lips fit together perfectly, and her height is just right for my arms to hold her.

She pulls away from me breathless, her green eyes locked on mine. She's about to tell me that we have to go in, but I've just begun to have a taste for passion. I kiss her again, before she can speak. I'm not ready to let this moment go.

She pushes me away as she presses her fingers to my lips, "Are all country boys so greedy?"

My mouth smiles under her fingers and I move her hand aside with mine and kiss her knuckles. "I really like you, Rosalisa."

She laughs, "So can I be the Viola to your Cello?"

"Whatever you want. I just want to be with you."

She doesn't say anything, she cups my face with her other hand. For a moment, there's something strange in her eyes, a darkness that makes me feel cautious and guarded, but then she sighs and leans her head against my shoulder, "Cello, what will I do with you? You're so innocent and trusting. You're really such a rare boy; I wish I could have you all to myself. I really like you too."