Chapter 21 The trap is sprung

Author's Note

I've dedicated this chapter to Conni Byron, who has followed this and another novel  of mine - A Dragon in Winter - to the end (well she shows every likelihood of finishing this one). 

I would recommend reading  her  Stained White - a remarkably  new take on a werewolf theme, and with acutel observations on humans faced wth the seemingly impossible.

CS

 Liz, make-up free, hair drawn back and constrained in a ponytail, wearing jeans and a denim jacket, and with determination in her face looked formidable. She had a long trench-coat over her outfit as we went to the site. 

Steve met us with a smile. "My God, it's the commandos. Boss if you don't tell me about this, I shall be really upset." 

The helicopter phuttered down at precisely 9.30 am. Under the whistling blades Liz and I ran to the door, and climbed in. 

We put on the headsets and seat belts, and exchanged greetings with Sir William. 

"Clear to take off?" 

"Yes," we both said. 

The view of the site I had only seen as a computer simulation swung around and reduced in size. It was a crystal clear day. 

A half hour later we were over Northallerton. 

"Robert. Flyby number one, two miles east of target, running north. Check if all three Jaguars are in the car park." 

We saw Railton House, yellow sunlit stone in a setting of dark trees. 

"Damn," I said, "one missing. OK. Go to turn point one, Catterick, and then to the van layby." 

As we approached the van I saw a slim gray-clad arm wave. "Ruth. Ready?" I said over the WT. 

"I'm ready. 'Morning darling. Isn't it a brilliant day?"  

"Ruth we're shy of one Jag. We'll return for you." 

"Robert. Flyby two. West of target, going south." 

Robert said, "If you're looking for a powder blue XJ it's coming in from Northallerton now." 

"Jesus," said Liz, "Your eyesight's keen." 

There was a pause ,then she said "Oh I see it." 

Robert said, "It's experience. You see things differently from above. Turn point two approaching." 

"Go for repeat of flyby one east of Railton running north." 

As we passed closest to the house, "OK all Jags in." I said, "Pick up Ruth." 

I tapped out Wendy's number at the office on the mobile. "Five minutes to go Wendy, keep this line open now." 

As we passed over the landmark indicating we were in WT range of Ruth, I said, "Go Ruth Go." 

"Confirmed" 

Uncannily reproducing the dream, I saw the van start with a puff of black smoke, but now it was being driven sedately and accurately along the deserted narrow road. 

"Approaching turn point one," said Robert,"How's the timing?" 

I said, "Still good. Ruth has two minutes to go. 

"OK. Turn now for Railton. Wendy, Ruth, thirty seconds. I'll count down from fifteen." 

As we were approaching the house I saw the van stop beside the telephone pole, and the glitter of the axe, as Ruth readied herself.