Chapter 17 Planning to destroy Railton House's influence

Betty drove me to the station, and I asked her to rebook the Swallow hotel, apologise for my not having been there the night before, and to put the computer and files I hadn't unpacked from the car, in my office. 

At four o'clock I waited in the ante office of Sir William Ogilvy whilst an elegant secretary typed at a terminal. 

Liz came in, confident and blooming, and shook my hand in both hers. 

"Thanks for coming Graham. I'm sorry I had to do this to you. But I hope things will go the way we want. Shirley, please tell Sir William we're both here now." 

We were ushered in. The panorama of the Thames subdued by tinted glass, was displayed on two sides of the office. 

Sir William was regarding the view with his back to us. He turned and held out his hand to me. 

"Wisheart, we haven't met before, although Liz speaks highly of you and at some length, so I feel I know you quite well. Thank you for coming down. It must seem a strange request. It's not that I don't trust Liz, or her judgement, but what I may have to do is very serious indeed, and I must have good corroboration of her views. 

"I'll get some coffee in and then I want you to tell me in your own words about Railton House." 

We sat on grey leather armchairs around a glass coffee table which reflected blue tinted clouds in a dark sky, whilst I recounted the day Liz and I were at Railton House, and my earlier experience of it. 

Sir William was lean and tall with intense blue eyes set in a square, tanned, chiselled-out face. Balding, with a shock of grey hair slicked back each side of his head, he sat very still whilst I spoke, interpreting every syllable, movement, and expression. 

"I think that's about as much as I can say, Sir William," I concluded. 

"I have a concern, and I hope I can ask this without giving offence, but you say that effectively Eve offered you the use of Railton House as a love nest for the two of you as a couple." 

"Yes." 

"Why would she think that would have been acceptable to either of you?" 

"I am undeniably fond of Liz and attracted by her. Eve would detect that. She has uncanny prescience. But she would not necessarily know that I have a lover." 

"And you, Liz?" 

"Much the same Sir William. We work well together, and Graham is attractive to me. But I know about his own relationship. We have nothing between us except affection and respect." 

"No hint of scandal could attach to you two then?" 

I said, "These days? I think it would be  only too easy. We've stayed in the same hotel for a week. We've been working late together. Both being single leaves us open to any accusation of that kind." 

"Well, if you're both single no one would be damaged if you were intimate, so I think that'll be alright. The fact that you are comrades now, rather than lovers can be argued. But if somehow you were compromised later the answer is 'so what?'" 

I said, "I have a question, Sir William. How come that Railton House and its purpose was apparently unknown to you until Liz brought it up, and your staff claim ignorance of it, yet a main board director is involved up to his neck? I can't see him not trying to use its attractions to influence the board here, including yourself. It doesn't strike me as very probable." 

"It is a fair question. As far as I am concerned, and in the strictest confidence I have a wife who is gravely ill and I spend as much time with her as I can. I believe you are in a position to have an understanding of that, Graham. Therefore I do not leave this office unless it is supremely important.